I ate my first eggs...and they were delicious! PICS

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisa202, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    I can't wait for that day! Yum!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Love the pics!!! Especially the one with the egg crumbs left. [​IMG] Gotta luv it. Those eggs LOOKED delicious.

Congrats on eating your first eggs. You're in trouble now. Once you turn to farm fresh eggs, you will not want those yucky store bought eggs. Make sure that you have keep chickens on staff to keep laying. [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Me too [​IMG] My girls are squatting, really red wattles and combs, etc. but no darn eggs yet.

5. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    Ok, I'm new to the whole chicken raising thing....so new I don't have my birds yet. My question is.... Is it ok to eat eggs that have not been candled if they have been exposed to a rooster and if so, how soon after they have been laid should they be cooked?

6. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    One of my eggs was fertilized...it makes no difference (except that it gave me rooster powers [​IMG])

My eggs will never last long enough to go bad.[​IMG]

Seriously though, you don't have to candle eggs if you have a rooster. Just put your eggs in the fridge after they are laid and nothing will develop even if it is fertilized. I've read that your eggs can last a long time, you just want to make sure you take them from the coop in a timely manner. If you collect them once a day then they will be good in your fridge for weeks (at least...probably more like months)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You can cook them right after laying. And no, you don't have to candle. There's only a teeny tiny spot on the yolk where you'd even be able to tell if it's fertile or not and unless you know what you're looking for (and have a magnifying glass) you'll not know the difference.

8. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:there is no need to candle any eggs unless you are hatching under a broody or in an incubator. Even if you have a roo, if you collect the eggs every day then there is no way of those eggs developing into chicks. eggs need to incubate under a hen or in a bator for about 21 days.

Plenty people here have roos and collect their eggs every single day and eat those eggs with no issues.

hope this helps...

Ema

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And there is NO difference in taste or nutrition between fertile and non-fertile eggs.

I have roosters, I get fertilized eggs, and I leave mine on the counter for weeks!

10. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    There's nothing like eating you r first farm raised eggs. We had one so we made a fried egg sandwich and split it 4 ways. It was so much fun seeing the chidren's faces when they tasted the deliciousness of a non-store bought egg. Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by