Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
65913_chicken_eggs_05.jpg

65913_chicken_eggs_014.jpg

65913_chicken_eggs_015.jpg

65913_chicken_eggs_016.jpg

65913_chicken_eggs_017.jpg

65913_chicken_eggs_018.jpg

Love the pics!!! Especially the one with the egg crumbs left.
lau.gif
Gotta luv it. Those eggs LOOKED delicious.

Congrats on eating your first eggs. You're in trouble now. Once you turn to farm fresh eggs, you will not want those yucky store bought eggs. Make sure that you have keep chickens on staff to keep laying.
gig.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Ok, I'm new to the whole chicken raising thing....so new I don't have my birds yet. My question is.... Is it ok to eat eggs that have not been candled if they have been exposed to a rooster and if so, how soon after they have been laid should they be cooked?

One of my eggs was fertilized...it makes no difference (except that it gave me rooster powers
wink.png
)

My eggs will never last long enough to go bad.
big_smile.png

Seriously though, you don't have to candle eggs if you have a rooster. Just put your eggs in the fridge after they are laid and nothing will develop even if it is fertilized. I've read that your eggs can last a long time, you just want to make sure you take them from the coop in a timely manner. If you collect them once a day then they will be good in your fridge for weeks (at least...probably more like months)

Last edited:
You can cook them right after laying. And no, you don't have to candle. There's only a teeny tiny spot on the yolk where you'd even be able to tell if it's fertile or not and unless you know what you're looking for (and have a magnifying glass) you'll not know the difference.

Quote:
there is no need to candle any eggs unless you are hatching under a broody or in an incubator. Even if you have a roo, if you collect the eggs every day then there is no way of those eggs developing into chicks. eggs need to incubate under a hen or in a bator for about 21 days.

Plenty people here have roos and collect their eggs every single day and eat those eggs with no issues.

hope this helps...

Ema

There's nothing like eating you r first farm raised eggs. We had one so we made a fried egg sandwich and split it 4 ways. It was so much fun seeing the chidren's faces when they tasted the deliciousness of a non-store bought egg. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom