I baught sick chickens.. What next?

jimmybigboss

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2016
Ireland
So i just baught a few Buff Orpingtons 4 cockerals and 3 hens. When i got home i noticed that a cockeral was making a snoring sound when breathing, and often gasps for air. This mornging i braught him to the vets and she said that he needs antibiotics. And the chancers are the rest of the flock i got has it. I havent paid him all the money yet. So what should i do? Ring him and say they where sick, and then what?

I was talking to him. Apparently hes sending me tylan 50 antibiotics. But im wondering once a chicken gets sick and then cured will it always be a carrier? Im using these birds for breeding and wouldnt feel right giving unhealty chickens to people :-/

I was talking to him. Apparently hes sending me tylan 50 antibiotics. But im wondering once a chicken gets sick and then cured will it always be a carrier? Im using these birds for breeding and wouldnt feel right giving unhealty chickens to people :-/

You are quite correct, they could well be carriers for life if its viral (and antibiotics will only prevent secondary infections, not a virus). My advice would be to ask for a refund and return the birds. If not, then cut your losses and cull them - its simply not worth the risk - been there, done it and bought the T-shirt myself.

All the best
CT

Last edited:
Not necessarily, but you'd need your vet to do the relevant tests to ensure an accurate diagnosis - guessing that would cost more than the birds themselves, but that would be your call.

If you have given them antibiotics then my understanding is that there is a period before which they are fit for consumption - the meds should indicate so

Ct

Ah well i culled him anyway. No way im taking the risk. None of the other ones are showing symptoms but i have them in a shed by themselves. Is there a chance they will be ok?

Back
Top Bottom