I baught sick chickens.. What next?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jimmybigboss, Mar 7, 2016.

1. jimmybigboss

jimmybigboss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2016
    Ireland
    So i just baught a few Buff Orpingtons 4 cockerals and 3 hens. When i got home i noticed that a cockeral was making a snoring sound when breathing, and often gasps for air. This mornging i braught him to the vets and she said that he needs antibiotics. And the chancers are the rest of the flock i got has it. I havent paid him all the money yet. So what should i do? Ring him and say they where sick, and then what?

2. jimmybigboss

Feb 18, 2016
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'd give him a call and see what he says. Poor babies. Hopefully the antibiotics will take care of it. [​IMG]

4. jimmybigboss

Feb 18, 2016
    Ireland
    I was talking to him. Apparently hes sending me tylan 50 antibiotics. But im wondering once a chicken gets sick and then cured will it always be a carrier? Im using these birds for breeding and wouldnt feel right giving unhealty chickens to people :-/

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are quite correct, they could well be carriers for life if its viral (and antibiotics will only prevent secondary infections, not a virus). My advice would be to ask for a refund and return the birds. If not, then cut your losses and cull them - its simply not worth the risk - been there, done it and bought the T-shirt myself.

All the best
    CT

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  6. jimmybigboss

Feb 18, 2016
    Ireland
    Right, and if its bacterial would the same go?

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Not necessarily, but you'd need your vet to do the relevant tests to ensure an accurate diagnosis - guessing that would cost more than the birds themselves, but that would be your call.

8. jimmybigboss

Feb 18, 2016
    Ireland
    Fml..... would they be ok to eat?

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    If you have given them antibiotics then my understanding is that there is a period before which they are fit for consumption - the meds should indicate so

Ct

10. jimmybigboss

Feb 18, 2016
    Ireland
    Ah well i culled him anyway. No way im taking the risk. None of the other ones are showing symptoms but i have them in a shed by themselves. Is there a chance they will be ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by