I believe I have an imposter! Light colored Black Copper Maran Chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MeghanFaith, Mar 11, 2015.

1. MeghanFaith

MeghanFaith Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    **Caution Reader** Story contains: Over Dramazation (due to being snowed in for too long with children), Plot Twists, and a Cliff Hanger Ending

Here is my story!

Prologue: I placed an order for 6 Black Copper Maran hatching eggs from ebay. Once the order was placed mother nature threw a huge temper tantrum in our area! I asked the seller if she could delay my eggs because of a huge snow storm was headed our way, she of course complied and we agree on the later date. Just when I thought we were in the clear another storm hit us with 12 inches of snow and -17 degrees (brrrr) I tried to ask the seller if she could post pone shipment again, only to find out my eggs had arrived that Friday! It was of course Monday before I figured this out! Unannounced to me we had gotten a new Post Office lady who didn't know to call me when I received eggs. It was of course a Holiday this Monday so I had to wait another day to get my poor egg embryos......I thought all was probably lost [​IMG].....I was wrong! [​IMG]

I had a belated chickmas miracle 3 of my eggs made it to lockdown day!

Two hatched out just fine. However one had trouble, I was already keeping my eye on this one because it had a super wonky air cell. It was a good thing too because this chick was malpositioned and need a little assistance making the great escape. I was very familiar with this egg, I stared at it for hours watching its slow progress coming into the world. It was to darkest of the bunch and proudly labeled #3. However I had a big surprise once this little chick fluffed out!

It's light colored and has a chipmunk stripe. I am pretty sure this isn't the normal for Black Copper Maran chicks. I did see where sometimes a white-Black Copper Maran chicks pops up. However I'm not sure this is the case, but I really don't know.

So I'm asking you guys! What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both these chicks were from the same batch.
    [​IMG]
    Feathered Legs
    [​IMG]

I swear I'm holding it gently in this pic!

Other than the obvious chipmunk coloring here is what I see: We def. have the feathered feet, but they're pink. Also, I think the cheeks seem a little puffy like an Amerucana. The comb seems similar to the other in shape and size, not color though.

The other two that hatched out look like the typical pictures of BCM chicks that are on the hatchery webpages.

I sent an email to the seller asking if maybe one of her hens has a secret lover on the side. Okay maybe not in those words but, if it was possible another rooster bred this hen and if so what kind? I would be just as happy with a possible olive egger! I haven't gotten a reply yet, and I will update as soon as I do.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Sounds like those were some tuff little eggs! Will be interested to see what the breeder says. Those are some cheek puffs on that little guy. There is a project color of gold or gold salmon some people are working on that the chicks are stripey http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/golden-salmon-marans.html

3. MeghanFaith

Mar 4, 2013
    Yes, I don't know how they survived all that! The seller packaged them very well and was great to work with me. The eggs came from TN and I live in WV so at least it wasn't a very far trip for them. It was really my fault leaving them at the post office for so long especially with the crazy low temps we had. (not that I did it knowingly though) I was not mad at the seller for this little surprise chick one bit! I did want to let them know about it though and maybe find out what happened. Hopefully its a pullet so I can post back in 6 months with the color eggs it'll lay! Oh and it does seem small and petite compare to the others (EEs from my stock also hatched with the BCM) that have hatched, so maybe with fingers crossed [​IMG] I'll get me a pullet!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. MeghanFaith

Mar 4, 2013
    The seller messaged back and said she sometimes has a blue splash maran in there. She didn't say whether the blue splash was a hen or roo? Is that what blue splash chicks look like?

5. SpringPeeper

SpringPeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Northern California
    No, blue splash Marans chicks do not have chipmunk marks.

6. MeghanFaith

Mar 4, 2013
    I didn't think so either, but that's all the info I got back from them. I guess only time will tell. I'll post pics later on showing what we end up looking like.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

8. MeghanFaith

Mar 4, 2013
    Okay so here's an update. I don't think this is a splash either. I sent pic's to the seller but haven't heard a reply so oh well. I'm really confused on this feathering though! I tried to see what other breeds the seller had listed but there was too many to even think about narrowing it down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by