1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I believe I like it here already ~:>

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MeChicksBeSwede, May 12, 2016.

1. MeChicksBeSwede

MeChicksBeSwede New Egg

May 11, 2016
    North Texas
    Hey, everyone. I just joined BYC yesterday, and even though we've been keeping chickens for a few years now, they finally generated some actual income (though $ has never really been the purpose of keeping them). Just outa' the blue today! We had a cable installer here and he happened to see our little foragers (he was surrounded by like 20+ birds) and asked if we would be willing to sell some! For over three years we've had chickens & nobody has asked if they could buy some! As a person who takes coincidences & turns them into superstitions...I just can't help feeling like some of the good BYC mojo rubbed off on me while I was here yesterday ~:>
    So, I decided I had better post on the new member intro page to keep the good energy flowing. I'm just amazed at how productive I feel, somebody who knows what they're doing in the world of chicken, after all...I'm sure an amateur wouldn't be able to make $50 on a chicken sale ....wait a minute, I forgot to account for the feed, and oyster shell, and treats/scraps, and all of that time & energy! .....calculating....@?$#....okay, so as it turns out, I actually paid them to take my chickens off my hands... guess that's why you guys say I'm a newbie :rolleyes:
    But hey, I won't argue that, I never claimed to know what I was doing in the chicken world ;) I learn somethin' new everyday...today's lesson was "Chicken Math." Naw, Scratch that. ...Today's lesson was, "How to Convince Hubby That There Actually IS Plenty of Space to Fire Up the Incubator for Just One More Hatch" :fl

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! Making money off chickens is a science by itself... Personally I've had more success selling eggs for eating, if it's legal and allowed in your neck of the woods. It helps if you buy feed in bulk (cheaper that way) and have willing hens. Chicks sell well too, if you have popular breeds… Just a thought. Be warned we're a bunch of enablers here. Enjoy!

3. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer Premium Member

oh, yes, enablers all. "No" is not something we'll be telling you. :D Welcome to the forum.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Think of it this way - you didn't even need to advertise and yet sold chickens. Obviously your birds are so attractive and friendly, they just sell themselves. All good. With confidence you will probably price your birds higher and be able to get your price.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'd suggest that its compulsory to get the incubator out again - after all, you're now a few layers down and they gotta be replaced somehow [​IMG].

Best wishes

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by