I believe my goose may be very sick please help!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GooseLover2012, Jan 19, 2014.

1. GooseLover2012

GooseLover2012 New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    I have two beautiful Toulouse geese who are about 7 months old. I noticed that they, Nargle and Toofer, have been acting very strange lately. They aren't eating, or drinking much, Both of their feathers on their wings look like they are wetted down with something, and you can see the white quills. Nargle is especially worrying me, because she is now appearing with bald spots on her neck. It doesn't look raw and bloody, but there is a bald spot there, and she also has bald spots of the elbows of her wings, and she also isn't fighting me when I try to hold her and that scares me, she hasn't been thrilled about being held since she was a gosling. These guys are my babies and I really dont want to lose them. I cant find ANY information about bald spots on geese and the way they have been acting on the internet. Any help, please?!

2. BYCoop

BYCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    High up in Colorado
    They might just be establishing pecking order, but probably not. They might also be molting. Other than this, I have no idea. Try feeding them some probiotics, like yogurt. I think that will help. Other than that, I can only say to hope for the best.

3. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    yea it sounds like that there might be something wrong .But if its breeding season for your geese ,where ever you live ,the bald spot on the head could be from the matings from your gander toulouse ,but 7 months is probely abit too young for toulouse geese to mate but that could explain maybe.Check if they are doing mating signals ,baldness on the wings isnt that odd for geese unless its really bald over
    i hope it helped :) If you dont mind take a pick of two of your geese so people on byc can help you better and so i can see the condition :/

4. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    When i said "pick" i meant picture :)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What part of the world are you in? when my gander is in molt he acts like he doesn't feel good, he stays off to himself alot, haven't noticed actual bald spots though, could they have gotten into something toxic, if so you might try giving them some activated charcoal in their water I'll get you the link. and some poultry vitamins with probiotics would be good too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by