I believe that my white silkie is a roo!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Luvmy9hens, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Luvmy9hens

Luvmy9hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Here we go... after reading EVERY post in this forum, I am sure that this is a little boy! At 8 weeks, he has not been chest bumping or doing any posturing. As a matter of fact, his "surrogate" mom seems to peck him on the head quite a bit. He responds by running behind her or hiding. No attempt at crowing, either. I noticed that the ears have a slight blue tint and there are hair puffs anterior to the ear that have been growing since he was 3 1/2 weeks. The comb is black with a slight bump and very pimply. Only one egg hatched so I do not have another silkie of the same age to compare. I definitely see roo... Bearded or non-bearded? It seems as though the females have combs that come to a point at the head and widen toward the nose. The males seem to have wide rounded combs at the head.
    [​IMG]
    With his frizzle surrogate mom...
    [​IMG]

Showing head and comb development. Many pin feathers are developing along the face and upper area behind his head.
    [​IMG]

Showing ear lobes - blue coloring just noticed last night and
    waddles
    [​IMG]

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    8 weeks for a silkie is too early to tell for sure.

My silkie hen has everything you described as well :)

As for the shape of the comb I think we're it that easy you wouldn't have people including breeders unsure what their 4 month old silkies were

The big sign is the streamers they will get on their heads but don't confuse those with normal pin feathers that both male and females get.

I guess what I'm trying to say is silkies are the hardest of all breeds to sex and its rare to be able to do so at 8 weeks because that's early to sex even many of the easier breeds.
    Don't give up on it being a girl yet. Absolutely nothing about it is screaming rooster for me. I think at this point its still a 50/50 chance either way.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I was hoping for a girl but either way the chick will stay with us. The chick and its "mama" have been living inside since the baby hatched. Too cold outside as the temperature dips well below freezing on some nights. Although we are around the chick a lot, it is still skittish. This is the chick at 18 days... [​IMG] Now it seems as though baby and "mama" try to get under each other at bedtime! I have been taking pictures weekly to see the chick's progress over time.
    [​IMG]

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    8 weeks is way to early to sex a silkie. Silkies are extremly hard to sex and sometimes take peopleuntil they are many months old to be able to tell gender. So wait a couple months, before coming to quick conclusions

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    that s really cute picture!

6. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Thanks! I have a bunch like that. My chickies like to watch me from under their mamas when they are babies. This is the same silkie chick at 21 days. It was getting too big to fit under the surrogate mama and would try to get under her wing for about a week.
    [​IMG]

7. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I am happy to hear of the chance that the chick may be a girl... It changes day to day! [​IMG] Is this little one bearded or non-bearded?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Outcome? ROO!!!! I was correct! Had my suspicions at 3 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by