i believe this is a female moscovey.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by baconbits141, Jan 3, 2013.

1. baconbits141

baconbits141 New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    Im trying to find out what kind and gender duck I have. I believe it is a female moscovy any help with this would be great. im new at this so im trying to get a feel for thing what they like to eat, drink, play with. thanks.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Are you talking about the duck in your picture?
    If so, then yes, you have a muscovy. And it looks like a female.
    She can eat regular layer pellets, but they also LOVE fresh or scrap fruits and veggies. They are a pretty good forage breed too so if you can, let her free range outside (or pen) as she will eat grass and pick around to find bugs and beetles.

3. baconbits141

baconbits141 New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    thanks I did build her a big pen outside so she can free roam. she also hisses at me sometimes but she not mean I think she is just scared. she was in bad shape when I got her and she seems to be doing very well considering. I also got her some hay and the food I bought her is "dumor chicken scratch and hartz large bird food it has fruits and veggis and nuts in it. but I don't wana put her outside because its so cold. thanks for the help.

4. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I thought only the males "hissed"?? ...im not sure tho.

5. baconbits141

baconbits141 New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    that's what I thought, but she also chirps well its not a churp it more of like a 3 or 4 hoots I guess is the way to explain it like a chatter.

6. baconbits141

baconbits141 New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Muscovy are the quackless duck breed. The males and females hiss and the females also chirp (mine do it when they are sitting on eggs and don't want me near, or when they come up to me looking for food).
    But that is definitely a female now that you have some body shots of her. She looks only partially grown. He body may only get slightly larger, but the caruncles (red part on her face) will get a little bigger. I'll post a few pics of some of my muscovy ducks for comparison for you

[​IMG]Day old ducklings (the come in many colors!)

[​IMG] Here is a 1 1/2 year old drake

[​IMG] This is an 8 month old blue pied hen

[​IMG] These are some juveniles. This is the age where the males get larger than females. The lavender in the front is a male. The rest are hens (2 chocolates, 1 lavender, 1 buff/silver, 2 black and white. The white in the right corner is also a drake)

8. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Look at all thoes beautiful Muscovys!!!!
    [​IMG]
    This is my drake!

9. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I only have him..and i was told its illegal to have one one muscovy..is this true?

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    in some states it is

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by