I bit the bullet...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CarriBrown, Feb 10, 2008.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

and joined Easy Garden! [​IMG] It's going to be 80 degrees this week and DH and I are rototilling the soon to be veggie garden!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    80 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    DEEP BREATH - I'm calm now - I think! [​IMG]

Whatcha planting? Anything for the chickens?

I got my seeds in the mail last week - a TON of em, and can't WAIT to get started - I have to wait till April/May! [​IMG]

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Carri When you are done with your garden.... would you mind popping by my place and rototilling?

Wildsky What kind of seeds did you get?

Im thinking about ordering some of the seeds from Sandhill Preservation. They have some "Tasty Chicken Treats" spring greens for the brooder yard that contain Essex Rape, Millet, and Mustard combination. Their fall mix adds turnip and radish seeds as well.
    http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/specialty.html#chicken_treats

Chel <currently 3000 miles away from her garden [​IMG] >

5. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    Oh man! I'm jealous....[​IMG]

It was a high of -6 today or some such dumb non number [​IMG]
    and The wind..........man alive, it did make some beautiful snow scapes I guess.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] I got mine from Sandhill - I ordered about a month ago - mailed with a check and got them last week.
    They even threw in two free packets.
    I've got SO many I can't list them all - a bit of everything, right down to flowers, gourds and pumpkins for halloween. 4 types of tomato, 2 pea's, beans, 300 topsets garlic, ...... etc...etc.....
    I'm so excited!!!! (I got the spring and fall mixes)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  7. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I joined The Easy Garden too. I can't wait for it to be as busy as this forum...............

here's a question for ya'll that have gardens, Do the free ranging chickens destroy your plants? How do you prevent that? I don't really want to put a barrier fence when I get around to having a garden, but if I have to I will.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:The garden was safe until Chicken Hawk discovered the tomato plants. [​IMG] After that, they would make a beeline every time I let them out. They don't free range anymore because of a too-close-for-comfort hawk attack. You're probably going to have to keep the girls on or fence the garden.

9. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    It doesn't take much of a barrier to keep them out. We just use the two foot tall chicken wire and some fiberglass push in fence rods. easy to go up, easy to come down if ya need to get the tiller in or something. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm gonna hafta join them too...pffft...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by