I bought 12 I thought or think black-sexlink pullets from TSC

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StevensFarm, Apr 20, 2011.

1. StevensFarm

StevensFarm New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    Like I said I bought 12 chicks I thought were Black SexLinks pullets, but I'm not sure. TSC said they were about 2 weeks old. When I got home I went online and tried to see why one chick may have white fuzz on it's head and the rest didn't. The website said it was probably going to be a rooster. We bought them for egg laying. And I know you really don't need a rooster to lay eggs. Is there a easy way to know while they are young?

2. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    from what I understand, the ones with a regular yellow/whiteish dot on the head are the girls, the ones with an irregular shaped marking on the head are boys.

3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    It might be a barred rock also

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Black Sexlinks pullets will be solid black at hatch with maybe a bit of white on the wingtips and rusty red on the chin. Male Black Sexlinks will be solid black with white wingtips and a white dot on the head.

In Barred Rocks both genders have the dot on the head, but in some strains you can go by the size and shape of the dot to determine gender(noticed in most of our canaddian barred rocks that method doesn't work even the imported ones from the US). As for telling male Black Sexlinks from Barred rocks you wont be able to until maturity since the sexlinks barring will be darker and not as neat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by