I bought 2 sex-links (black and gold) and one is a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jessika, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I bought 2 sex-links. When purchased as 2 day old chicks at the feed store I was told they were both hens for sure. Now they are 13 weeks and one is defiantly a rooster. I have done a little info digging on the subject and all I can find on it is that they are sexed by their colors after hatching....one color male the other female. These 2 of mine have the same color feathers. How often does that occur?

Thanks

PS Hope I picked the right place to post this. [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I guess it first would be helpful to know what breed of sex-links that you bought. In a lot of the sex-link breeds, the males come out the yellow color and the females are another color. Later as adults, they will sometimes end up feathering out with the same coloring. It just depends on what breed you bought.

WELCOME TO BYC!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    My black sex-links the roos had an orangish spot on their head and the pullets didn't.

I didn't have any brown sex-link roos so I can't help you with that one.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG]

Could you post pictures of both of them?

Why do you think one is a male?

When you bought them or picked them out, why did you think they were both females?

I think in order for us to help you out, we need a little more information. Because sexlinks are crosses bred so male and female are color sexable, they often have pretty different colorations. If both of your chickens are the same color, they will be the same sex. There are always exceptions, but they are rare. Sexlinks were designed to be able to sex visibly immediately after hatch, I just think that it would be quite rare if the system failed. Afterall, genetics, especially sex link characteristics, are usually predictable, proven and reliable.(Notice I say usually. Nature likes to pull one over on us once in a great while)

-Kim

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Alright, I searched some pictures for ya.

These are Black sexlinks. The picture show the difference between male and female.

[​IMG]

This is a Brown Sexlink.

[​IMG]

This is a Golden Sexlink.

[​IMG]

And these are Red Sexlink.

[​IMG]

**The pictures are property of Ideal Poultry. And not mine.**

Hope that helps!

-Kim

6. Jessika

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I am recharging my camera battery...should be ready before dark and I will post pics.

I know I have 4 two week old golden sex links ( I paid close attention when I bought them, they are red-ish/gold chicks), then I have a pair of 5 month old hens (black with grey or white mixed in sex links, unkown type/name), and then these black and golds with one being a rooster (I think).

I thought I would remember the types and didn't write them down when I bought them. But I have a total of 13 different types of chickens that make up a total of 39 chickens on the farm. Plus 2 Nubian goats, 2 dogs (Pit Mix), a sulcata tortoise, a foot long oscar, and a parakeet. Oh yeah...lol...5 children! Plus they all get along dandy. [​IMG]

And I thought I would remember. :pLOL

Thank you guys for your info. This is only my second year with chickens. [​IMG]

I will post pics this evening.

Jes

7. Jessika

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Oh yeah... I bought them a a feed store and he said they were awesome layers when mature so I bought 2. I already had 2 bigger/other sex link hens that haven't started to lay yet so I bought these also for the farm. They look like like my older hens feather patterns.....but they are gold and black unlike the olders one which are white and black (Maybe large ones had gold laced wyandottes for 1 of the parents..and the ones in question had 1 silver laced wyandottes instead? ) Any rate the feed store person said that they were all hens...that they sex them by color to tell. Which was also what I was told when I bought my first 2. I hope I said that right. lol It does get a tad confusing. [​IMG]

Pics to come....

Thanks again

Jes [​IMG]

8. Jessika

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I got the pics....it is 98 degrees today and chickens were not exactly in the mood to be photographed [​IMG]

But hopefully the are simi ok pics [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jessika

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    That one is the other sex-link...the sister to the one in question

10. Jessika

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    [​IMG]