I bought 4 pekin ducklings at tractor supply the day before yesterday and there might be a problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missnu01, Mar 7, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    All of the ducklings feet are peeling, and have small blackish brownish scabs on them. Do I need to do something for this? Or are they alright, and perhaps were just too closely packed at tractor supply...?
    I know they were too closely packed at tractor supply, so now that they have a clean area of a proper size will their feet get better, or should I be doing something for them?
    There is no swelling, but all the scabs seem to be on the boney parts, and the peeling is happening on the bottom of the webbed parts. So scabs on the edges with peeling in between. None of their feet look swollen, or inflamed. They don't seem to be in distress, although they seem to supremely dislike any interaction with us humans. I want them to be friendly, but they will have none of it. I am guessing they will come around.
    We also got 2 mallards, and quite a few baby chicks. Everyone else is doing great, except one little leghorn chick has been pecked on it's wing. The other chicks are ignoring the injury now, it happened before we got them...
    The mallards are doing well with seemingly no issues.
    I don't want to treat it if it's nothing or something that will just heal up on it's own, but I don't want to leave it untreated if it is the start of bumblefoot or something similar.
    So scabs on the bottom of ducks feet with no swelling or inflammation and peeling webbing also on bottoms of ducks feet problem? or no?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I understand peeling can be normal heres a link with an answer from Amiga and duckyfromz both trusted on BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/590241/do-ducks-feet-peel I think I would put some neo sporin or triple antibiotic on their feet a couple times a day and see if that clears it up. nothing with pain relief ending in caine though. also if you can let them have a little swim time with supervision? before treating.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    My ducklings feet peeled too... thought maybe it was like "skin shedding" from growing - kind of like a snake does. I never saw any scabs though. Eventually they just stopped peeling. I agree that maybe if there's scabbing, to go ahead and put some neosporin on just to keep it clean.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think bath time in warm water (80, 85F if they are less than 3 weeks old) at least once a day will help. And ditto the triple antibiotic for a few days anyway. It will help the feet hold some moisture and reduce drying out.

5. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    Our duck's feet peeled minimally, too (they're also Pekins from TSC). Depending on what you're feeding them they might need a niacin supplement, such as Brewer's Yeast. We got some sold for horses and sprinkle it over their food because they're eating unmedicated started for chicks, which doesn't have enough (niacin) on its own.

6. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    The peeling is very light. It is the tiny scabs I am more worried about.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would go with warm baths, triple antibiotic ointment especially right before bedtime, perhaps a day or two of Epsom salts compresses (don't let them ingest it, it is a powerful laxative) once a day to draw anything out if needed.

8. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Ok. I'll have to get some plain neosporin

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you decide to do the compresses, please let me know - have you done them before? Remember not to let the duckie eat or drink any of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by