I bought a buck.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Frozen Feathers, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well I supposed to get a bred Nigerian doe tomorrow and today I called to get directions and the people informed me that they had sold them! :mad: Which I thought was pretty rude since they said they'd be able to hold them until Sunday, but whatever. [​IMG]

Anyway, so that left me back to figuring out when Mary goes into heat and then driving her an 1 1/2 hours to get bred. Not fun. So I was searching the local advertiser hoping to find a decent buck near me and came across an add for a Pygora buck for sale. Well, okay, I thought I'll just go look at him. I really wanted a Nigerian or at least a Nigerian cross, but gosh those pygoras are so darned cute and I probably won't get him but it doesn't hurt to look right?

Yeah right! I should have known he'd be really adorable and good natured and I just kept imagining how cute his and Mary's babies would be.

So now I have a Pygora buck! [​IMG]
    I'll get pics tomorrow. [​IMG]

Question, if I decide he's really too stinky and would rather whether him, is he too old to be banded? He's a year old.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Oooh congrats! Those are cute!

You're going to get a lot of different answers on the wethering question. Some will say it should be done by a vet now. Some will say, go ahead and band him. Your chances of infection may be higher with his age...

Me? I'd be fine with banding.

3. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

That sounds like something I would do lol. I can't go look at something anymore, it's not safe.
    From the way I understand it they are never too old to band. You need to be to concerned with them being too young. It could hurt them from what my mother in law tells me. She raises pigmys. She told me to not band them until they are fully dropped and hang in a tear shapped form. That way it does not pull on their skin on the belly. And does not harm anything needed for them to urinate properly. Also you should do it in cold weather. There is less chance of infection and bug problems that way. At a year old he should be fully dropped from what I have been told. I have already desided that if I deside to band my billy I have left, I will ask a friend that bands livestock regularly. I am to afarid of doing it wrong. I would suggest if you are concerned about doing it yourself to ask at your local feed store they could hook you up with someone who could do it for you. Hope this helps.

4. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well I banded Mary's brother myself and never had a problem, but he was also 12 weeks old...so there wasn't much there yet.
    [​IMG]

I'd really like to keep C.J. (They named him Captain January...lol) a buck as long as possible, and maybe add some more Nigerian does...we'll see how he does with Mary this year first of course. My experience with them is they can get temperamental with age or too stinky and rather then "sell my problem" I'll just fix him. [​IMG]
    Now I'll have to learn to spin! [​IMG] He has nice soft fiber...well..where it hasn't been matted.

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Sounds gorgeous! Can't wait for the pics![​IMG]

6. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    well my pygmy buck smells but it is not as bad as i thought. You almost get use to the smell. It also helps to have them in a more open area i think. As for castrating him a vet would have to do it at his age and I think that it would be something like surgery not positive on that part. Good luck and can;t wait to see the pics. as for the banding part I dont think you could get a band big enough that would work but than again i could be wrong. for me being as old as he is it would probably be in your best interest to have a vet do it as i have never heard of anyone banding them at that age if you want to do it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  7. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you already have him?

If so how come there are no pictures of him? [​IMG]

8. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Wow that was rude!

OTOH, congrats on your new boy! Can't wait to see pics!!!

I want a few, but dh says NO WAY... ah well. Someday I'll find a few that need rescuing ... or maybe I'll just say they wandered into the yard and CAN'T WE KEEP THEM.. LOL!

And oh.. btw, I want PICTURES!!!

(that little boy Jack that you gave to Wendy is too adorable for words!!)

9. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Okay...I went out in DARK and took pictures. He's a bit bigger then my doe, but he came out of a very tiny Pygmy doe, the size of my doe and his sire (a full blooded Angora) is twice his size! :eek:
    I got to have a look at his parents (which is nice) and his dam seems has a nice wide rear end so hopefully that means a good udder...lol. She was very pregnant but not bagged up yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ps...excuse all the hay and mess. I love his markings, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  10. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh Angie. he is cute! I love his poofy checks!!

Thanks for going out into the dark and getting photos!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by