1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I bought a cornish hen today and she is wearing glasses how do I get them off

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lacymorgan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. lacymorgan

lacymorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    I would like to remove these glasses my new hen is wearing they on held on with a pin through her nostrals. Can I safely remove them??

2. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    No clue how to get them off. But can you please post a pic?? I would LOVE to see them.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Those are peepers. I use the "pinless" variety. They are to inhibot the chicken's eyesight to slow down aggression, usually feather-picking.

I think they might be removed much the same as my pinless peepers. If your fingers are strong enough, put outward pressure until you see the pin drop out of place that is holding the peeper against her beak.

You can also get a tool call snap-ring pliers, which operate the opposite of regular pliers. Insert the plier head inside the peeper and squeezing will exert outward pressure, spreading the peeper away from the beak holes.

No, this shouldn't hurt in any significant way, although you could see a drop of blood if the tissue gets kicked. No real harm done.

4. lacymorgan

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    will post one in the morning they are designed to keep them from pecking each other

5. lacymorgan

Jan 21, 2015
    Kingman AZ
    ty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by