I bought a sportsman...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aarronh, Mar 17, 2011.

1. aarronh

aarronh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
    So my "gift to me" out of my income tax return was a sportsman. Yay for better hatching results and less work! I was ready to throw those Styrofoam coffins out the window! Anyway, now that I have this great machine, I have become a hatchaholic... this hatch alone, I hatched 78 chicks! Only 6 eggs did not hatch out of 84 eggs! I have chicks coming out of my ears! I am wondering if getting this awesome machine was a bad idea.... [​IMG] NAAAA! [​IMG]

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Congrats!!! Now quick, order eggs! There are lots in the BST section!!

3. aarronh

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
    That's what got me into this mess! HAHA! [​IMG]
    Quote:Congrats!!! Now quick, order eggs! There are lots in the BST section!!

4. Renie'sPeeps

Renie'sPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Orford, NH
    Ok Aarron.... inquiring minds want to know... which one did you get? and where did you find the best deal/ [​IMG]

5. aarronh

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
    Renie - I got the sportsman digital. It has 3 turning trays, and then a hatcher drawer in the bottom. I did nothing other than plug it in and turn it on! It comes preset so there is no temperature setting to fuss with! With the standard trays, it holds 270 eggs. But, since I have a lot of silkies and bantam brahmas, I got the bantam trays too - which increases the number ;-)

I actually bought the unit directly from the manufacturer. I ordered on Friday, and it came on Wednesday. I found they had excellent customer service with any questions. I did price a few other places, but what it appeared to be was them ordering from GQF, and then just having it drop shipped. I was "anxious" so I just figured I could have it quicker if I got it straight from the source. I contacted a place which had a cheaper price, but due to hassle I had even getting in touch with them, I decided that I didn't mind paying the extra dollars. If you want to know more about that experience, please PM me.

Good luck!
    ~Aarron

Renie'sPeeps :

Ok Aarron.... inquiring minds want to know... which one did you get? and where did you find the best deal/ [​IMG]

6. Renie'sPeeps

Renie'sPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Orford, NH
    I have been wanting one..... but I opted to buy 2 more 1588 Hovabators for my birthday [​IMG] So now I have 2 of them full incubating and the 3rd is busy hatching.. lol I know I will get a Sportsman before its over.. I better wait till I have more pens to raise the babies.

7. aarronh

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
    That's my problem - now I'm overrun with babies... literally... everywhere! I have heard good things about the 1588 too! I just made a promise I would not buy any more Styrofoam! haha... You might want to check out the Brinsea Eco. It's small, and $100 online, but it comes preset, and you just turn the entire unit, instead of each egg! My friend got two of them, and is order her 3rd! She's very pleased with them!
    Renie'sPeeps :

I have been wanting one..... but I opted to buy 2 more 1588 Hovabators for my birthday [​IMG] So now I have 2 of them full incubating and the 3rd is busy hatching.. lol I know I will get a Sportsman before its over.. I better wait till I have more pens to raise the babies.​

8. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    [​IMG]

I got one too! I got a 1502 digital that was delivered last week and bought it direct from GQF also. I just bought some eggs and plan to start the first batch going this weekend! I am so hoping it makes a huge difference in my hatch rate.

Some people do great with the LGs, but for me "styrofoam coffin" is very apt.
    Very funny, by the way.... and a little sad...

I don't know what I am going to do with all the chickens I hatch but I sure am excited! I will figure out something.

9. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm jealous. It would be nice but DH would kill me...Maybe as a friend suggested, I could hide it in the closet? [​IMG]

10. aarronh

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
    Disguise it as a mini-fridge [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by