1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I bought an incubator(TOOK BACK)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tiki244, Jan 14, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I bought an incubator today, now all I need is a hygrometer and thermometer. and Patience!!! I want to go out and get some of the hens eggs but it is so cold I would have to get them probably within 10 min of being lain. This weekend it is supposed to be -7F one night and -10F another night.
    .Then I do need to separate by breeds also, I better do that because I will still have to wait 3 wkS?4wks?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Sounds like you have a plan anyway

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    If you are separating by breeds to get pure bred eggs, then wait 3-4 weeks before collecting to incubate to make sure that the rooster you want to be fertiliziong the hen is the one you want eggs from.

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you, Tiki!!! What kind of bator did you get?

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I got a Little Giant:) now doesnt that sound silly. Kind of like a bantam Jersey Giant! Well its nothing fancy but I think it will do the trick for a while

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I returned the incubator- I now have plans of making one

7. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    how come you returned it? I love mine and besides you could have had two incubators going at the same time lol

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I wasnt sure how good it was and I had to buy more parts for it so with the cost I figured I would make one and then expand next year. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. sgray136

sgray136 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Huntertown, Indiana
    If you need further advice on building your own incubator contact Miss Prissy. She also has pics and a parts list. If you have any questions she is a good source. I'll help where I can...

10. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    icic well all i can tell you if you are interested there is the whole set up on like cutlers supply that is around 130 that is with the turner and forced air but it is a hova bator which i am interested in getting and you can always try craglist sometimes you can get cheap ones that way. I like that you can actually make your own but I would never have the time to do it and i would be to afraid that i would not get it right. Miss prissy would definatly be a help if you plan on building one I swear she is like wonder woman on her just read some of her post it is quite amazing what she can do. Good luck to you and hope that you have a bunch of fuzzy butts soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by