I bought eggs today......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kjpanda, Aug 21, 2011.

1. kjpanda

kjpanda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I broke down and bought eggs while shopping today. While I don't think any of our girls are close to laying, I am going insane waiting!!!! I have worn a groove behind the nesting box, pacing and listening for the ever elusive "egg song".

Two of our girls, the Plymouth Rocks will be 20 weeks old on Monday and my (2) Barred Rocks and (2) Australorps will be 19 weeks old Monday. The combs and wattles on both of the Plymouth Rocks are progressing along about the same; but the other girls are quite different!

My Barred Rocks, Thelma and Louse:

[​IMG]

My Australorps, Lavern and Shirley:

[​IMG]

My Plymouth Rocks, Snow:

[​IMG]

Plymouth Rock, Ellie:

[​IMG]

Their favorite pastime, sitting on the steps of our porch and grooming. I have to block it off now, they have figured out they can fit through the railing to the non-secure part of my yard. BAD GIRLS! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Store bought eggs again....sigh.....one day, I will have a fresh, beautiful, perfect, fabulous egg. I think I will have it bronzed when it comes!

Praying to the egg Gods [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They're close. Hang in there. Both the white girls look ready, one of the BR, and one of the BA's too. Are they squatting for you?

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    It's a great feeling knowing that you don't have to buy eggs anymore. Hang in there and soon you will have more eggs than you need! [​IMG]

4. kjpanda

kjpanda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    No squatting, no egg songs, sniff sniff, no eggs. My girls are pretty quiet for the most part. I still love them, even if I still have to buy eggs. My first egg is up to about $1100....but the rest will all be free! Chicken math is so great! [​IMG]

5. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

I know how you feel. My chickens are still little chicks (no where near laying anything) and when we buy store bought eggs I feel like I am cheating on them! [​IMG]

6. stargazer2014

stargazer2014 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    I have identical Barred Rocks. My Geraldine looks like your Thelma, and my other two look like your Louise! What gives?! [​IMG]

7. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Hang in there - you are very close now! We know exactly how you feel - we have 24 BR pullets
    and 3 roos. We started getting our first teeny tiny cute brown eggs when they were 21 weeks
    old - they are 23 weeks old today and we are finally just up to 10 pretty good 'medium size'
    eggs per day now. I questioned why were were getting so few eggs from so many hens today
    on this forum and was told that in a few weeks we'll probably be getting more eggs daily than we
    know what to do with - won't that be great?

8. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Now that you bought eggs at the store I'm sure they will lay for you. Maybe you need to take an egg out and show it to them. Very kindly explain to them that they need to start laying some just like it. Oh, if you bought white eggs be sure to dye it brown first or they will get confused about the color and you might never get an egg.

9. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    We're on the egg watch too. We have three Rhodies and three Barred Rocks. They are 17 weeks old. Two of my Rhodies have full comband wattles. The other Rhodie and one of the Rocks are half there. The other two Rocks still have a way to go.

...and we're still buying eggs... [​IMG]

10. AUChick9202

AUChick9202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    I know what you mean. Every time I buy eggs I hope it will be the last time [​IMG] My hens range in age from 16-19 wks. The oldest two, the BO and RIR, are getting their red combs and wattles, but I haven't noticed any squatting. I could have sworn I heard the egg song from my RIR last week, but still no eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by