i bought led round lights think they will work

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Dec 13, 2008.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    they are the size of a hockey puck run on batterys 3 white bulbs think they will work for better egg production or do i need a brighter light

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I'm just guessing here:
    LED lights are limited in color but this may not matter to the hens or be adequately dealt with [​IMG].

If you can read a newspaper by this light and the chickens have 12+ hours of light out of every 24 . . . egg production should improve.

Steve

3. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

LED lights actually come in a wide range of colors. Warm white is probably better than the typical blue-white. Amber LEDs would probably work fine for chickens and are cheaper than any of the "white" LEDs. My girls have a white LED rope, but I haven't started using it yet. The outlet doesn't easily support my timer for the lights + my extension cord for the water heater. I just need to get out there with a little adaptor; hasn't happened yet...

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I use LED x-mas lights, each bulb is about 1 inch multi color and mine lay all winter.
    So i think it will work for you.

5. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    my coop is dived in to two sections they semm to lay the eggs in just 1 side of the coop so should i put light on both sides so they all get light

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Light over the feed and water would be important, I'm sure.

S'

7. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    yeah thats where i put it right over the feed area it gets daylight about 630am here and dark about 430pm soim guessing turn on the lights around 3 or 4am

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by