1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I bought my goat a ball :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by peachick, Aug 3, 2010.

1. peachick

peachick Songster

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    I posted this on the backyard heard forum.. thought Id ad it here too...
    http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=70317#p70317

I bought a pretty red ball at the store last week and wondered if the goat and lamb would push it around at all... well no, not at first.

But yesterday I was scratching the goats head, and then with the palm of my hand on his head I gave him a push backwards and kept the palm of my hand out after I did it.. Well he looks at my hand and you could see him thinking "OK, I'll play" lol He then steps towards me, drops his head, and pushes on my hand. We did this a few times, and he kept coming back for more.
    Realizing this could be dangerous as he matures I decide to use the ball instead of my hand and I used that to push against him. He continued playing and pushing harder, backing up and rearing up on his hind legs then charging the ball with his head down .. reminded me of a mountain goat. I was loving it! he was really quite frisky and playful, and seeing him rear up like that over and over was amazing !. After a while I held the ball on the ground and he continued to push on it. When I stopped holding it he began pushing it around the field a little and pawing at it, He was even making noises as he pawed at the ball ... so much fun to watch. When he eventually pushed it into the brush, he laid down beside it and rubbed his face on it. so cute. It was like he was thinking ... Ohhh I love my new ball. lol

He is a 6 month old fainting goat and his horns will eventually pop this little ball, so I think I'll get him a basket or socker ball that is a lot more durable.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    That is sooooo cute .. Lol He loves his ball

3. Epona142

Epona142 Songster

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Is he intact? Because he's flirting with that ball....lol. What you described are buck behaviors towards a doe. I have some wethers who do it as well when a doe is in heat.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I noticed that, too. [​IMG]

5. peachick

peachick Songster

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Yes I know [​IMG] he was wanting to "love" the ball [​IMG]
    I picked up the ball before he got himself too worked up.
    As long as I'm holding it, he just does the head ramming thing.

He is intact. 6 months old.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger 10 Years

I use those hard large plastic apples for horses, they sell as toys. They love it.... although the potbellie loves it a little too much..... [​IMG]

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:I have one of the apples for horses that comes apart and you put the flavored treats in it, wonder if that would be ok for goats? Mine definitely need more entertainment.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I have one of the apples for horses that comes apart and you put the flavored treats in it, wonder if that would be ok for goats? Mine definitely need more entertainment.

Mine like to jump on things. We picked up some of the big wooden wire spools from the electric company for FREE. They spend the day perched on top of the spools. Kids really like them since they can jump on and off of them and then run around like crazy critters. Our last goats came from a guy that had an old, stripped out pickup in his pasture. It was funny to see the goats in the front seat of the truck.

9. peachick

peachick Songster

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    I use an empty milk jug and soda bottle to put treats in ...
    and next time I get to the feed store I'll get a big dog bully ball.
    I have some large logs I put in the yard for climbing and an old lawn chair.
    I also turned over a large oval water tub that he likes to lay on [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: