I bought the Brown Layer Assortment. What are these gals? ****PIC HEAVY****

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I bought the Brown Egg layer assortment from McMurray and I have IDed about half the chicks (Light Brahmas, Dark Cornish, Barred Rocks and White Rocks). These are the ones still eluding me.

First three pics are of the same chick but I have four others just like her. No spot means not a Barred Rock. Black Giant?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first two are the same chick and the third is one that looks distinctly lighter until I snapped this. I have two darker redish chicks and two dark buff/light red chicks. Maybe the red light and the red in the feathers is messing with me????
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mystery Chick#1 -Only one colored like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mystery Chick #2 -There is a light grey spot between his/her shoulders and feathered legs.
    [​IMG]

Please help me figure these little ones out! I am at a loss...

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say the black ones are Jersey Giant--look like yellow feet bottoms to me. If they're pink they're Black Australorps.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

black chick is either a black giant, or austrolorp, the red chicks are probably rhode island reds, not sure about the black and yellow one, does the last chick have a beard? if so maybe a favorolles?

5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

6. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    #1 Looks to be a splash or blue something. Which is odd, because I don't think the hatchery sells a large fowl brown egg layer that is available in BBS [​IMG] I have heard of unlisted breeds coming up in an order though.

#2 LF Light colored bird with what looks like a beard and feathered feet? Light brown/brown egg layer? Sounds like a Salmon Faverolles to me. Only thing that would clear that up is a foot shot though, Faverolles are known to have 5 toes on each foot. (although I wouldn't put it past a hatchery to sell birds without that trait)

7. hopefulpeeps

hopefulpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    I have NO experience, but it's fun to try with my Meyers catalog.... :)

8. hopefulpeeps

hopefulpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    Or maybe not White Giants (what about a columbian wyandotte), they look soo different on the McMurray website from what they look like in the Meyer Catalog and it doesn't look like they have Buckeyes either, so I'm no help....

9. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    I am going to agree with Pele, and that Mystery Chick #1 is truly a Mystery! MC#2 sure looks like a splash of some sort, but agree it may also be a SF. Should be fun to see!

10. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

Mystery Chick #2 is a Salmon Faverolle
    I see a 5th toe, these you can usually sex once they got a lot of their feathers in. USUALLY, sometimes the hatcheries SF are off color. I've got 2 normal color and 4 off color from a different hatchery

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by