I bought the wrong food

idahomama

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
My BO's are 7-8 weeks old and just finished the bag of starter food. According to my books, I should have them on a grower feed until I switch to layer feed.

I accidentally came home with layer feed, protein content of 16%.

Is this a really bad thing? Do I need to break my budget and go get the grower feed? Is there anything I can add to the layer feed to decrease the protein content?

Thanks!

Personally, I would go and buy another bag of grower. They're too young to do really well on layer feed yet.

Feel free to save your layer feed for use in another 8 weeks!!

How much are you paying for your feed? Grower feed here is only about $10 a bag... shouldn't be enough to break any budget?

I paid $18 for the layer feed so I'm assuming that grower would be comparable. $18 won't break the budget but it's just another one of those extra-expenses that add up.

Will the layer feed keep for another 8 weeks? I opened the bag last night since my darlings were out of food.

i keep my feed in a tote inside for chicks or in metal 55 gallon barrels for all my other animals. ( rabbit, goat, chicken , pig ) You should spring for a new bag , you wouldn't want anything to happen to them by eating something they are not ready to actually eat yet. BEST OF LUCK!

I agree, they should have something other than layer. Starter should be fine if grower isn't available to you.

Layer feed has more than 3 times the calcium that's in the other feeds. If the birds aren't making eggshells every day, all the calcium they digest must be eliminated thru the urinary track.

It puts a strain on the kidneys and not all of the calcium can be eliminated. That means calcium deposits build up in their bodies.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom