I Brake For Mushrooms!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by menageriemama, Jun 30, 2008.

1. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    On the way home from the beach a couple of days ago, I spotted these beauties on a tree on the side of the highway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So of course I hit the brakes and waded across a tick ridden, quasi-swamp ditch to fill my hat with the most fragrant, wonderful oyster mushrooms ever! I cooked them up with some butter, olive oil, salt, pepper and the smallest dash of garlic. Served them with seared venison cutlets from our property, and we had a true local harvest feast. Even the salad was from our CSA [​IMG] . I LOVE WILD MUSHROOMS!!!

*of course, don't eat anything you are not able to identify with certainty...

2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Oh my!! Those are humongous mushrooms!! [​IMG]

You must definitely know your mushrooms. I would probably be dead if I tried to pick out a mushroom in the wild to eat! [​IMG]

That is so neat..... [​IMG]

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    that's great we went on a little foray yesterday. we managed to find some nice chantrelles and also found some oyster mushrooms as well. One that i was looking for was some boletes but only found and old decaying one. Congratulations on your find.[​IMG]

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    those are stunning. My mouth is watering . . .

5. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Wow. One of my long term goals is to learn enough to forage for mushrooms and eat them without keeling over.

Those are so awesome!

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    That's a big one!!!! [​IMG] Very nice, very nice! My hubby would have stopped for it to. he collects the big ones.

My hubby just brought a big stinky one in the house today from our yard. It's so, so stinky that he decided to take it back outside. [​IMG]

He said it smelled like death! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    is that chicken of the woods?

I really really want to take up Mycology, but it's not something you can make a mistake at. ><

8. riderbecky

riderbecky Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ottawa Valley
    You are so brave. Doing something like that scares the "baukaw" out of me! [​IMG]

9. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:Yeah.. mine too! [​IMG]

Beautiful find!

10. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Wow! [​IMG] I wish I knew enough about them to be able to harvest them with certainty. I'd be so scared because so many look alike...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by