I broke the shell off the top.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nicolemac, Jan 27, 2013.

1. nicolemac

nicolemac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Isle of Skye
    After breaking open my late eggs i found the first two were duds. Must have stopped developing around day 3ish. I expected the same from the Maran eggs. I took the top off first - so that the membrane is still all intact, I basically exposed the air cell.

I used a sponge to dampen the cell to see through it, the chick is inside and seem okay, i can see a little yolk to be absorbed on one side but other than that it seem fully grown - as far as i can see.

I have put the sponge back on top to keep humidity in and put it back in the incubator.

Will it still hatch? The membrane is all fine and not open or anything?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Did the chick pip through the membrane yet? Keeping the membrane damp is a good idea. Crank up the humidity in the incubator and wait and see what the little one does. If she's ready to hatch and she needs help have a look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

But give her a chance to absorb the yolk and the blood in the membrane first. If she didn't pip through the membrane she could still be more than 24 hours from being ready to hatch, so give her time and keep her membrane damp. Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Why did you remove the top and what day are you on.

4. nicolemac

Jan 6, 2013
    Isle of Skye
    Thanks so much for the advice, no pipping yet and still a little yolk to absorb so im leaving her be, there are sponges and a cloth around to keep the humidity up. Will she still hatch after losing the air cell? She will just pip into the air in the incubator now..is that okay?

5. nicolemac

Jan 6, 2013
    Isle of Skye
    After finding the other eggs to have stopped development at around day 3. I checked this one, chances were it stopped at the same point. I opened the aircell end because i thought it was better than cracking it into a bowl and killing a potential chick.
    I assumed this was the best way to do it.

It's a dark Maran egg, and candling is nearly impossible. It's about 4 days after hatch.

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    She may still hatch out o.k. [​IMG] Next time this happens candle the egg and if you can see anything hold it against your ear and tap it with your fingernail. Not too hard, just so you can hear the tapping. If there's a live chick in the egg it will respond by either tapping back, squirming or peeping. This is better than opening the egg to find out! I started tapping the eggs because I don't have the stomach to open unhatched eggs and I'm terrified I'll throw out a chick.

7. nicolemac

Jan 6, 2013
    Isle of Skye
    Candling looked the same for all eggs, even though some had stopped at day 3! It was unresponsive to tapping and sank for the water test. I was pretty sure it was another undeveloped one before i broke the top. I'm still glad i did it, otherwise it would have been assumed dead and thrown out. I will be sure to update you when she hatches [​IMG] - hopefully it will be successful!

8. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Fingers crossed! Just remember she could take quite awhile... I hope she's going to be o.k.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Hoping for it to hatch. Was you temp too low? Keeping my fingers crossed also. :)

10. nicolemac

Jan 6, 2013
    Isle of Skye
    It did fluctuate a little, thanks for the finger crossed. i will update if anything happens. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by