I broody eating her eggs

Willie84

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2016
Australia
my broody has eaten two of her eggs she has been sat on them for 7 days now. Will she become an egg eater? Is this something I should be concerned about? This is her first brood and I’m not sure if I should just let her be and see what happens in another 14 days.

Is there any possibility that other hens are trying to lay in her nest causing a scuffle and egg breakage ?

If your eggs have a thin shell try feeding your hens oyster shells with their food or keep their eggshells and rinse and smash them up to put on their food.

Thanks I have purchased the eggs from another breeder so I have no control over the shell thickness. My hens all have hard shell eggs as I feed them their shells back to them crushed up. I'm still wondering if she has eaten two eggs will she now have the taste for egg or maybe is she just cleaning the nest?

I had some thin shelled eggs in the hatching eggs that I gave my broody. Two broke and she ate them. The other 10 eggs hatched fine.
Did your hen then continue to eat her own eggs once she started to lay again. Or was it just a one off thing?

Back
Top Bottom