I built this at the weekend

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Captain Carrot, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    hi all, just wanted to show a couple of pics of my new coop. Its not finished yet, needs a couple of things doing to it: roosts, bolts on the doors and another coat of paint. It also needs a run, it's going to house a trio if bantam Welsummers.

The coop will sit on top of the run to keep it off the ground and to give the birds a little more run space. just a question though, how high should the coop be off the ground, so that the birds will be able to use the space underneath . I'm planning on using this covered part to hang a feeder....so how high?

The coop is 3 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot

side view with person door on the side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the door at the back opens up too for collecting eggs and for cleaning. The next boxes are only slotted into place, so all fixtures inside the coop can be removed to make cleaning easy.

All future coops of mine will be this "pine green" colour as my hardware store has it on offer, buy one get one free. lol

2. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    Great job! You should probably add some ventilation at the top though. I don't see any?

3. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

4. Captain Carrot

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    I've drilled holes at the top of the front part of the house, in the partition of the nest boxes and at the back too. Maybe can't see it cause of the pelmet thingy.

I've not made the feeder yet, I bought a bucket, funnel and plant pot dish today....I just need to drill and glue

5. Captain Carrot

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    17 inches sounds a bit small...about 40cm is that right?

6. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:That doesn't look like enough ventilation to me. Where do you live? I would put alot more , not drilled holes, but cut outs with hardware cloth and hinged doors on the outside to open and close as needed. I'm no expert but................I just sayin

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I agree on the ventilation. Gonna be pretty stuffy just about anywhere in the summer. Pretty dark inside too unless I'm missing something. A window perhaps?

8. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    xxxxxxxxxx [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
  10. Captain Carrot

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    the nest boxes are made up out of pieces of ply that just slide out, so won't be a problem getting rid of a couple
    This is the first coop I've built, my flock are housed in a big barn/shed, so any criticism is appreciated. I'll get my jigsaw out at the weekend and add some windows with sliding shutters.

Any other ideas?

I'll post more pics as I progress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by