I busted two egg eaters last night.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by onthespot, Nov 13, 2008.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    There was a broody that had hatched all the good eggs and was setting on three duds, so I left her crate door open. She is in an XL plastic dog crate inside the run with other birds around. Since all the good eggs were hatched, I just opened the door to the crate and let her have free run, and other birds come inside. The next day, no eggs, no shells, no nothing, just a broody foisted off her nest, still walking a little bit like she would like to brood. . I got there late for feeding time and their feeder was empty. I had an egg from another run in my hand and set it down on the bedding to free my hands to hook on their waterer and those two biddies dove for that egg like it was live crickets. I mean DOVE! I snatched it away from them, grabbed them both and crated them, then I filled their food, and put it in the middle of the run, and to test the other hens, I put that egg right in the middle of their food and stepped far back to watch. The others seemed interested in it, but none of them pecked it. I am hoping that means they are not egg eaters. If they ever had an opportunity and a good chance, this was it. Hopefully that is the end of it.

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    What are you going to do with the 2 culprits? Are you going to try the mustard trick?

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

What's the mustard trick? As far as I know I don't have any egg eaters, but I'd like to know how to combat them if it does happen.

Thanks,
    Sonja

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    oh! The bad beasties!

5. thedreamers

thedreamers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    I too have an egg eater. Im thinking of puting her in the freezer. I have my older kids trying to get her when she drops it so i can have one of my broody hens hatch it so i can have her kind without trying to hunt them down again. She's a pure dom and we have 3 pure dom roos.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    i gave them away, immediately.

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Supposedly chickens can't stand mustard. The idea is you blow out an egg and fill it with mustard, then sneak it into the nest boxes.

8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    LOL was a surprise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by