I.C.E. on cell phones

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ozark hen, Oct 2, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    a while back an email was going around for folks to enter ICE in their cell phone address books. I spoke with a local firefighter, you all may also want to verify this, and he said, yes, all emergency personnel look for ICE on cell phones of those in emergency situations. It stands for IN CASE OF EMERGENCY- I have my dh listed as ICE 1 and my daughter as ICE 2 in my cell phone directory. Firefighter I spoke to said they always look to see who they can call for the patient but mostly they run into locked cell phones and cannot access the directory. My whole family now has this in their cell phone directory. Hope this info helps.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    We had a guy from the rescue squad say the same thing to a class at work. My DH & Mom are both ICE contacts.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    so glad to hear it. Now if we could just get the word out to everyone, it sure would help our rescue people and the victims of accidents. Spread the word everyone!!

4. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    I already have it in my contacts list . . . I just hope it's never needed.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had never even heard of this except for a poster in our ambulance squad building. No one ever mentions it though. I only found out what it actually was when I began college. I'll have to ask my friend who's on the fire department, but I don't think they check either.

My guess is it's probably more useful for doctors and nurses, since all personal belongings go with a patient to the hospital. As an EMT, my first job is to take care of a patient. I only call family members if a patient asks me to, or if they are a minor and I need to talk to a parent. Other than that, I just try to get them to a hospital ASAP. It may be different in other areas though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by