1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

I calculated the due date to be this weekend (Saturday/Sunday)...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BarkerChickens, May 28, 2010.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    So, you can expect my surprise when I heard chirping this evening!![​IMG]

I have 5 broodies in the coop...the eggs are all due at the same time. 4 of the 5 are first time broodies. One broody killed her baby though. [​IMG] She ripped the skin off its back. I took her eggs away and when they are all done, I will break in her a kennel or something. Not testing her with other chicks! [​IMG]

Hen #2 (the experienced one) doesn't have any pips yet, but one had movement for sure. [​IMG]

The remaining three are all sharing one test area. So far there is 3 or more yellow chicks, 1 really cute, bit odd looking chick (yellow/tan with brown chipmunk lines down its back and brown eye liner with fuzzy legs and a straight comb. The roo is a Faverolle, but the hen? [​IMG] I'd think EE, but no pea comb. Maybe Welsummer?) and 2 little black and white ones that look like JGs. Who knows how many there are. The Java mom is MEAN and it is impossible to see. There are more pips too. THey had 21 eggs, 5 have hatched, 1-2 more are pipped, 3 eggs are definitely quiters....the remaining 11-ish? No clue. There could be more chicks, pips or quiters, but I will have to wait before I can get in there and see.

The down side to the early hatch....I have a presentation at a conference Sat morning. I am driving to Anaheim (CA) tomorrow after work, staying the night (there is a banquet/reception tomorrow night), then do my stuff on Sat. I won't be home until Sat mid-late afternoon. DH will be here, but I will have to miss the first couple days. [​IMG] I figured Sat/Sun hatch would be perfect...I'd come home to pips.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Congrats...I have mine in the hatcher due this weekend too - but I havent seen as much action as you yet. .. I have duck eggs in mine...I have only just started hearing peeps from two eggs of the six as well.. I love it when the eggs start talking.

Hope all goes well with the rest of the hatch for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by