I came home from work and went quail hunting for the first time!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Denninmi, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    And I hope the LAST time. Probably not, but I can hope.

I went in the spare bedroom where my 7 button quail are in their rubbermade brooder. I saw 6!

So, I kind of wondered if my springer spaniel had a quail snack. He wasn't saying one way or the other.

Then, I heard a little call coming from under the bed.

After 20 minutes of chasing little lost guy around the room, I finally corned him against the base of a bookcase and got him.

When I popped him back into the brooder box, he started to eat right away, so I guess he's OK.

I have the top of it covered with nylon mesh secured with clips, and towels over about 2/3rds of it. But, there is a small slit where the cord for the brooder light slips through the nylon mesh.

I've decided its time to move into the finch cage.

2. quailmaster

quailmaster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Houston,TX
    Glad you found him. Those little sneaky quail are allways looking for any opening to fly out of.

3. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    haha the same thing happened to me the other day, they are sneaky little boogers, I had a coturnix get out the other day and I didnt even know it till I saw him sitting on the floor, I think he was so bored that he decided he wanted back in LOL. I just picked him right up no arguements

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Button quail are like mice, they can get through verrrrry small openings! I have some of mine in an 'open from the top' tub, and don't usually lose anyone. If I'm cleaning, though, I put a towel over the top. They don't seem to like the dust pan scooper in their cage [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by