I came home to fry in my tank, any advice would be very helpful!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BookWorm243, Dec 11, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I have been throwing the Idea around for awhile now that my molly might be pregnant. Today I got my answer! I noticed my fish were smiwwing around the tank like crazy but I didn't think anything of it at the time. Well I went to feed them this afternoon and there were little fry swimming around. I feel so dumb now the whole time they have been eating the fry [​IMG] I was able to save 5 fry and I have them in a huge mason jar ( used for sprouting seeds [​IMG] ) right now. I am going to be moving them into a 5 Gallon tank. Can I just feed them the fish food flakes I feed the other fish? Will she have more fry? and how soon? Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing.

Thank You!

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes she will have more fry, not sure how soon but she will have more. And if your putting them in a 5 gallon use a sponge filter or no filter, if you use a filter other than a sponge filter the babies might get sucked up and die. And for food http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/raising_baby_fish.htm#4 this method will work for any baby livebearer

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    get something in your tank like breeding grass so the next time, the babies have someplace to hide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by