I can feel my hens breatbone is that normal????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pebbles, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Pebbles

Pebbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Kingman, AZ
    I did not socialize my birds when they were young, so now at three years old I do not pick up any of my girls because they won't let me. My 15 girls have a 320 sq ft run completey shaded with plenty of water and a little pool to wade in. They are out free ranging when we are home to keep an eye on them, at least 4-6 hours daily. I feed Flock Raiser made by Purina-20% protein, and vegetable / fruit table scrapes.

They are free to roam my garden which is raised beds and protected with chicken wire and bird netting so they lay in the shady damp side in the heat of the day and dig for bugs at the base of the beds. I sprinkle the run with DE every few months, no bugs, mites or lice. The only pesticide I have used is Sevin. I have used it twice this year for the squash bugs. It is not suppose to harm chickens. I have a three year old speckles sussex hen that needed to go back in the run a bit early tonight. She does not like our rooster so when everyone is out she spends her time up by the back porch either alone or with two other hens that will come up the the house. I picked her up (grabbed her) and I was shocked that I could feel her breast bone. It is hot here now. 100-103 degrees every day and since it has turned hot I have noticed all my girls and the rooster seemed to have lost weight. Egg production is down but typical due to the heat.

Should I be able to feel her breatbone??!!!! What could be wrong???!!!! Is this an emergency??? She acts fine, roaming everywhere.

Thanks for your help!!!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Have you ever wormed them? Chickens that see dirt will end up with some worms, over time they can build up to the point of hampering digestion and causing malnutrition.

3. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    If they are a bird bred primarily for laying eggs then yes you probably can feel their breastbone.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Chickens at 3 years old with the combination of heat, I would expect egg production to go down quite abit. If they have never been wormed, this is also possibly a cause of apparant weight loss and loss of egg production as well.

5. Pebbles

Pebbles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Kingman, AZ
    Thanks for the reassurance BCB and no, I have never wormed them. After I worm them how long should we not eat or sell their eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by