I can fly :)

debakadeb

Songster
14 Years
Apr 8, 2008
SW Indiana
My chicks are probably a little over 2 wks old -- we got them from TSC 2 weeks ago. I noticed about a week ago that they are trying out their wings..not going very high or very far. Tonight when I lifted the lid off the brooder tote, one of my black sex link's decided she really needed to perch on the edge of the tote. Fortunately, she is one that doesn't mind being picked up so when I put her back down, she just went to another perch (momentarily)...ahhh...I believe the fun has begun.
wee.gif

------
Edited due to typing errors

Last edited:
That's funny! I can't believe how fast they grow and what they are able to do at such a young age!

Mine are 19 days old and, today, one flew up and perched on the door to the brooder which is at about 30" tall!!! She really surprised both my daughter and me!

They are so entertaining to watch!

Lisa

enjoy your flying chickies.i bet youll have some fly out your brooder everytime you work with them.

oh my goodness my 4week old pullet panicked when the roo wasn't with her so she flew about 4-5feet out of the hutch! i was so schocked! she was on the edge i was like no more leaving the lid open!

I'm betting at least one will fly out every time
smile.png
I'm glad there are 2 doors separating them from the kitty cats! I also hope my DH gets the coop built quickly. For those of you that have been chick mom's for a while, are they easy enough to catch if they aren't pleased when you pick them up? The one that flew up today has been one that began to climb in my hand and perch on me several days ago -- the rest just scatter when my hand goes into the brooder.

How long until I should worry about putting a top on the brooder? My chicks are less than a week old, and are already getting wing feathers and starting to flap them.

Back
Top Bottom