1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can give my chicks Golden Beach Sand right?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peaches Lee, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    My EE chicks will be 4 wks old Tuesday. Can I give them Golden Beach Sand as grit/dust bath? It says that it's been cleaned, free of chemicals and asbestos. Thank you so much for your help!! [​IMG]

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Yes, but you MUST post pictures after!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sand works ok for tiny new chicks, but they will need access to real ground (dirt) as in free ranging

OR purchased grit size #2 (progressing to size #3 after 7 weeks or so)= small gravel. Chick grit that comes in bags is ok.

This is unless you only feed the commercially prepared crumbles/pellets and never give treats. They don't need grit at all if they don't have to break apart grains and treats to digest them.

As a dust bath, they will love it.

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

At their age, they need bigger grit than sand if you feed them anything other than chick crumble. They will eat the sand and dust bathe in it. Sand is my chicks favorite treat.

5. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] I would, but I'm embarassed at what their brooder looks like. You wouldn't believe how much they have destroyed it!! I have a cardboard lined wire dog kennel. I put newspaper on the bottom, and then shavings on top of that. Well, they have scratched and shredded the newspaper to oblivion. I think they will enjoy the sand. We call them the "cretins" because compared to my little Golden Comet girls, wow, just wow!! Oh, and thank you for your response!

6. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Right now they are on only chick feed. Just yesterday I started with hard boiled egg, and sometimes they eat hay when I take them to their outdoor brooder. Thank you, I will look into those grits. [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Don't let your girls eat long hay. Very short grass clippings are ok, but the hay will ball up in their crops and cause impacted crop. I have read several accounts of this on BYC.

BUT, a lot of chickens are around hay but don't eat the long pieces. Maybe I misunderstood you?

8. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    They haven't had hay since Friday. And yes, it drives me crazy that they do! I have it down in their outdoor brooder. I think because it's new they get all excited. Has driven me crazy and made me nervous. But I don't actively "feed" them the hay--I really wish they would leave it alone. When they get older, will this be less of a concern?

9. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:IDK, because I don't use hay. Maybe someone else with hay experience [​IMG] will chime in.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by