I can I prevent so much food waste?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ourgirls, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ourgirls

ourgirls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hello, this is my first post. We've had six golden comets since last spring and we get about five eggs per day. I am wondering if there is a way to stop them from wasting so much food. I have a 7lb baby pig feeder attached to the wall of the coop at about their back height. I notice that when I fill it up, at least one will go right in and use her head and beak to start scooping the food from the trough onto the floor! When I clean the floor of the coop it is covered with so much food! Is there a way to stop them from doing this?

Thanks!

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

[​IMG]

Is there any way you can put a cover with holes over it so that the chickens are not about to get into the feeder?

3. ourgirls

Sep 26, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    That's a good idea. Have you done this? What material have you used to make a cover? Maybe some kind of plastic? Nothing creative comes to mind right now but it is late and my brain isn't working well!

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Quote:I would use a temporary like cardboard... and test out different hole designs to figure out what is the best way to keep the feed in and the chicken getting food then maybe you could make a plastic cover after you get a good design.

5. ourgirls

Sep 26, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks! I will do that! This forum is so great.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:I now have an old fashioned metal feeder(the long trough type) but I didn't have enough room on my walls to mount it. I wrapped the entire feeder in the left over fencing I had from my perimeter fencing. This allows me to fill it just like I always have but only allows the chicken's heads to go in between the wire. No flicking, no getting in and scratching....its been wonderful! Not a drop of feed wasted since I did it this way.

7. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    my solution was to use 3 inch pvc pipe. two straight sections joined together to form an L by a third piece that can slip off. it has a cap on top. 4 holes were drilled in the bottom straight section about golf ball sized so the chickens could stick their heads in it.

I just pop the top every few days, pour feed in, shake it so that it settles down the 'L' and wala! if you want a pic of it or something like it, just PM me . I dont have any offhand

8. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Hey, what great ideas for our "little" food wasters! Boy, will they ever be annoyed in the ever-escalating War of the Wills! [​IMG]

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    2 inch chicken wire stretched over trough type feeders keeps them from scooping.

10. ourgirls

Sep 26, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    The chicken wire sounds easy. I'll try that.

Thanks everyone for all the advice![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by