I can make room for chicks if need be. (eggs ordered)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bzbrown, Sep 28, 2011.

1. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

I asked ya'll yesterday whatcha do with the chicks when they hatch. I went out in the back yard today and looked at all the extra building wood I have, and the link I got for great priced hardware from this site and came to the conclusion. I can build another coop if need be, I can not keep roosters but can keep pullets if I keep them separate from my current flock.

So the plan is to make my own incubator. I've got nearly all the supplies I need to do so in my garage, and can make the trip into town for a Walmart run for what I don't have, I'd prefer Home Depot but my husband doesn't let me go there with a credit card, or alone anymore :) So far I've built a coop, a run, a hydroponics (then converted to aquaponics) system, I'm excited about the challenge!

So my question. Is there any particular breed that is "easier" than another to hatch, or are all eggs created equal? I've got my eye on 7 different sellers between here and ebay, but curious about the answer to that question first lol.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well IMO, I think they are all about the same to hatch but silkies. Maybe it's just me but I could not hatch a shipped silkie egg to save my life. I would go with what you like then you have what you want. [​IMG]

3. bzbrown

Quote:I don't know what I want! Something big for sure. No bantams. I'm open to suggestions.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What do you mean by the silkie thing, I have some now and I'm already running into early hatch with one still in turner, Is there something special I should do?

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:What do you mean by the silkie thing, I have some now and I'm already running into early hatch with one still in turner, Is there something special I should do?

No there's nothing special I think it was me or my bator. I never had good luck with shipped silkie eggs. I paid over $100.00 total and received no chicks, not one hatched. I know it could have been a lot of things and there are many many people out there that do great with them. So don't worry I'm sure you will do fine. A member on here was kind enought to hatched eggs for me and sent me chicks or I wouldn't have any.

6. bzbrown

Well, I ordered my eggs. My incubator is not even started yet! I'm fast though and will complete the task tomorrow morning, and hopefully be up and running by tomorrow evening. My husband is away right now, only available by phone text so it took a few hours to discuss what breed we were getting. We settled on Barred Rock. I'm excited, there is lots to do between now and delivery!

7. Good choice! I love Rocks. Never heard of any hatching issues with them at all.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

8. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    I second the "good choice" comment! I had a lovely BR roo a few years ago called "Scout." He definitely took care of his flock. He was a very handsome, very kind roo, and the ladies were also sweet as could be. I found them the easiest to sex out of a mix I picked up a few years ago (Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns, and Barred Rocks). It became clear by the time they were a few weeks old and the combs started coming in.

Best of luck! I hope you're busy building right now and not reading this! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by