I can not believe my horse escaped her new stall!

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
I recently (5 weeks ago) adopted a 17 yr old QH mare. She is the sweetest most gentle horse around. I have 2 TWH geldings in stalls across from hers. The boys have doors to the paddock and not into the new barn aisle yet. I thought it would be best to wait until the snow melts a bit before I let her into the paddock with the boys.
Today I had to run errands and when I returned she was standing outside the gate to the paddock, teasing the boys! Her stall gate was still latched. She must have somehow gotten over the top of the stall door! Everyone said it would never happen, that I didn't need a full length door there, the 1/2 door was enough. I can't imagine her getting over it without hurting herself. I wonder how long she was out there teasing them. From the footprints in the snow, she didn't go more than 20' away. OMG and the chicken coop was wide open too.
I guess I better build a dutch door asap.

What a stinker!

I'm rather new to horses and over do everything. I'm also a bit of a worry wart. So I'll be out there every hour tonight checking on her to make sure she's okay. I can see my boys stalls from the house, but hers is on the back of the barn. I need a stall cam.

She's never tried to get out before. i wonder if she's in heat.

My boys are both gelded and they are really being good about this whole situation. The dominant one doesn't have anything to do with her, he just slept in the sun, but the other one was rubbing faces with her over the fence when I found them today.

those naughty mares! no mares for this girl. that is a funny story. hope she if ok.
my mom sent her new horse up to get 30 days on it and they found it on the out side of a round pen, they left it in. that is over 5 or 6 feet.....

If you can lock the boys in at night, she might be less inclined to jump over tonight, but once she's learned, I'd say git 'er done, as she'll most likely be over again. They just can't tolerate being alone. Do you know if she was kept in a stall in the past? Amazing! And I'm so glad she is ok. Dickens.
tongue.png

For an easy fix you can put up some eye hooks and clip on a stall guard across top. I had a youngster who jumped out a 1/2 door once. I always used the stall guard on top after that. Once he knew he could go over I was afraid he would keep doing it and eventually get hurt or into trouble in the barn.

She's been just fine in the barn with her goats. She was always kept in a stall. Her new stall is 10x15 about twice the size of her last one. I criss crossed a longe rope over the opening for tonight. It was either that or a board nailed on and I'd worry about getting her out in an emergency.

Once this darn snow gets lower I'll feel better about putting her out in the paddock. The boys know where they can walk without sinking into the deep snow. (The goats walk right over the 5' fence.) darn snow.

Don't think I keep her locked up all the time. She gets exercised every day.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom