I can not break this broody. Can I give her chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyinmo, Dec 11, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Actually, I have 3 broody Silkies. Every day I take the eggs, and toss them of the nest 3 or 4 times. They won't stop! I do have 3 tiny chicks, that are a week old. They are mixes that include Silkie (I think) ... Anyway, they are very tiny. Can I try to put them in the nest, when I remove the eggs tomorrow?

Each day, the other silkies faithfully lay an egg .... and these three (faithfully) take them to sit on! Any suggestions? If I do attempt to do this ... do I move them inside? Geeeezzzz, why didn't they do this when it was nice out! [​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    That's worth a try......

The other way is to put the broody in a wire pen and then put a fan aimed at them to cool them off......

But in this cooler weather I don't know if it would be healthy for them....I really must get some of these birds....I could really need broodies....

So if you don't want to "fan them"......Sure, try a swap out of the baby chicks..

Great luck and have a blessed evening.

3. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Curious about the "fanning" - never heard of it (new chickenkeeper here). Lowering a hen's temp breaks a broody?

4. kathyinmo

Well, I have heard of dunking their butt in a tub of water. Actually, I did do that with a broody buff orpington a few times. I broke her broody spell, as soon as I gave her eggs and moved her nest! [​IMG]

Because of the winter weather, I don't want to chance that method. And, I didn't want to put her in a wire cage, because of the weather. I just don't know??? These 3 are all together in the nest! First was one, then two. Now I have 3 of them! [​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

Quote:That's what I have read. Different methods to break a broody include dipping butt in water; put in a wire cage where air circulation keeps her from having a warm nest; etc ... Just cooling her off, I guess. I dunno ... I'm still learning, too! LOL

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    My non-broody three week old silkies took over mothering the newly hatched chicks I threw in the brooder with them. If you try it, observe carefully for awhile, lest they become lunch when you turn your back.

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

An old timer told us to put one in a wire cage that was just big enough for her to sit or stand. No room to turn around or nothing. Keep her in there for a week and she will have a new attitiude when she comes out. I did it once with a cochin that was born broody and it worked.

8. kathyinmo

OK, I'm gonna try it. Tomorrow morning the chicks go to the broodies.

9. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Best wishes to you that your broody accepts the chicks. Regarding breaking the current broody habit, I read the other day somewhere to put ice cubes under the broody (I assume in a ziplock bag) to stop her by lowering her temperature from her current broody temperature. Good luck.

10. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Good luck Kathy, I hope they accept the chicks. Just keep a good eye on them. If they hurt the chicks, stick them in with Fattie and Cannonball for a few hours for some punishment, or maybe Thor can discipline them.

Seriously though, I'm sure they will be fine, though I've never owned Silkies I've never heard of them being anything but amazing Mamas. Keep a good eye on them, and I would be surprised if the three egg layers don't get jealous of the babies.

Laney

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by