I can see my chicken breathing from her neck...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SimonRooster, Mar 22, 2015.

1. SimonRooster

SimonRooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    Yes, it is weird but true. When my hen breaths you can see a bulge in her neck. She has been doing this for about a year and also sneezes on a regular basis. Im not worried about it, but does anyone know what it is?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens have air sacs that are connected. Here is some info on how chickens breathe and a diagram of the air sacs.

[​IMG]

3. SimonRooster

SimonRooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    Thats cool! So you think she is breathing more from one of the air sacks? honestly, now that I have seen the diagram, It seems like the air pocket that bulges when she breaths is at the cervical air sac...

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't know, but it seems like that would be possible. If an air sac gets injured, it can balloon out, and cause problems especially if it becomes large. Your chicken may have a little defect or leak that you are seeing. When a chick of mine once had a leaking air sac from injury, I heard a clicking sound when it breathed. I hope your hen gets along well.

5. ashgrovechicks

ashgrovechicks Just Hatched

Feb 12, 2017
    Hi, I have just seen this, we have a 14 week old silver sussex who is also experiencing this bulging motion when breathing. Our girl has not been a straight forward chicken to say the least. She has survived a serious case of coccidiosis, is constantly sleepy, always has crusty (hard almost) feathers and has snot leaking from her nose/beak (not sure what it is called.)

Does anybody know if this is all related??
    Thanks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by