I CAN SEE THEM MOVE I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DeeThomas, Apr 4, 2009.

1. DeeThomas

DeeThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Okay, so I had a temp spike but despite that, I just candled and I saw a red mass with veins all around it! and a tiny spec in the middle that was moving around without the effect of gravity!!!! I AM SO EXCITED! IS this normal to see movement.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Yes Dee that is very normal. If you do not see the tiny dot moving around at a week, that is not normal.

Congrats. [​IMG]

3. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    Wait you have a peacock??? How are they? I want to hatch some so BAD!

4. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Not yet, they are being shipped Monday. I have a mated pair of 2yo India Blues coming and 1 2yo white peahen. So I am hoping for eggs within a month of getting them.

I have had 3 sets and believe me when I say I learned things the hard way. The babies are the hardest to raise and you cannot raise them with your baby chicks.

5. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    Why not? and whats a pea hen and what does pea stand for?? im confused

6. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Quote:The chickens cause disease to the peafowl, which causes them to die, I have had 8 die on me from raising them with the chickens.

A peahen is a female peafowl. A peacock is a male peafowl. Everyone thinks they are peacocks, but they are peafowl and peacocks are males, peahen are females.

7. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Glad I ran across this post.. I've been thinking about getting a few Pea Eggs to hatch. And was even thinking about using one of my chickens (if broodY at time) to set the eggs..

I've read lots of info on Peas and I'm starting to wonder if it's worth trying to get a strutting Cock around my place.. [​IMG]

8. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    You can raise it with a hen if you have a way to separate them until the peafowl is about 6 months old.

This round, I ordered 2 year olds. I will post their pic's as soon as I get them and they settle in. They are being shipped to me on Monday.

9. DeeThomas

Mar 13, 2009
    Yeah but in your post you said, you shouldnt raise them with chickens? What about ducks they seem like a closer relative. [​IMG]

10. countrybum

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Peafowl are actually related to pheasants.
    I would not raise anything with my ducks after the ducks are between 4 and 6 months old. I raise my ducklings and chicks together, then separate, because ducks will devour the food and leave the chickens to starve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by