I CAN"T DECIDE on roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ncCHICKS, Oct 19, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I decided to wait on the aframe, save it for another coop.

Now should I use shingles of corrogated palruf? The shingles are old, but good. The palruf is sortof clear so it allows more light = warmth in.

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    More light and warmth are great for winter, but in the summer the coop probably will get too hot. You also could make it portable and place it in the sun in the winter and shade in the summer.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

If it helps you to decide, PalRUF also comes in opaque panels. You could have half the run roofed in clear for winter and the other half opaque for summer shade...[​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I Agree 100% on that.

5. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    There is a corrugated product called "Ondura" with ripples a little larger than corrugated metal, and smaller than Spanish tile roof. It's sometimes called "The poor man's tile roof." It is made of 50% recycled material, but the real important "green" factor is the natural chimney effect which takes heat out through a hip roof or the top of a slant roof. The panels are roughly 44" wide and 7 feet long, so it's better if you design the size of the coup with this in mind. Each panel costs about $30 if you factor in the special nails. You will need some roofing tar paper, so share a roll with a friend. It's all available at certain (mostly rural) Lowe's. I did my 16' x 12' deck and it looks GREAT. You can even walk on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by