I can tell you for sure now!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by twentynine, May 15, 2010.

1. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Since my hens have been laying I had been feeding them a 50/50 blend of Purina Flock Raiser and Purina Layena, I would then supplement with a couple table spoons of oyster shell right into the feed every day. Always figured the extra protien of the Flock Raiser gave them a little boost, and even if it didn't I felt good about feeding it to them.

Well the first of May I decided to "simplify" things. Went to straight Layena.

Egg production is off by a full 50%.

Monday morning bright and early off to TSC I go to get me a bag of Flock Raiser.

2. harewizard

harewizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm Curious: [​IMG]

What is the protein % on the Flock Raiser? I was feeding a Farmers Co-Op feed from my local feed store with 20% protein. They stopped carrying that to sell an organic 16% for double the price. I bit my tongue and bought Purina. I'm 1/3 way thru a Layer bag and have seen a decrease in egg production already the last 5 days!

And I don't like it one bit! [​IMG]

Lisa

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Wait a minute! I was wondering this earlier tonight (had to get another bag of feed for the new babies and I got to actually reading the bags of the other 2 purina products and it sparked the wheels in my head to turning)...so you have been feeding a blend of Layena AND Flock raiser? I mean, I still have a little while before I even think about seeing any eggs, but I was curious...I also still feed the medicated start and grow by Purina as that is what I have a huge bag of PLUS there are new babies now anyways...so when did you switch? because now that I here this news it changes my thoughts on the feeding process....more info would be wonderful:)

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'm all for feeding Flock Raiser to all ages. I offer oyster shell free choice on the side, and shells are strong [​IMG]
    I do wish it came in pellets though, coz of waste.

5. EggsForIHOP

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    So Flock raiser = better than Layena? For all ages? So I can buy one bag for everyone? Or should I stick to the start and grow for the new chicks?

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:The only difference is that Start and Grow is medicated, while most Flock Raiser is not (check the bag of course)

I start my chicks out on Flock Raiser from day one and they do great!

7. Laurie's Silkies

Laurie's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Montgomery, MN
    Why is layer feed always made with low protein (16-17%) anyway. Seems to me their feathering and overall condition would be better at 20%. I always have to mix different feeds to get the protein level I want too. I know it would jack the price up but having a choice of 17% and 20% would be nice to have.

8. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I love Flock Raiser! I have chickens and ducks and it is so much more simple to feed them. I also give oyster shell on the side, so I do have very strong shells. My ducks have not stopped laying for even a day since March... so I guess its ok [​IMG]

9. EggsForIHOP

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Thanks thanks and thanks again! I think we shall be switching then once this other bag is gone:D Sounds like one bag to deal with will be the easiest thing for us here (well me at least since I usually do the feeding of all things furry or feathered). I'm glad someone posted about this!

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Laurie's Silkies :

Why is layer feed always made with low protein (16-17%) anyway. Seems to me their feathering and overall condition would be better at 20%. I always have to mix different feeds to get the protein level I want too. I know it would jack the price up but having a choice of 17% and 20% would be nice to have.

I think it is made as the cheapest stuff that will still make good eggs. Bare minimum for reliable egg production, if you will.
    That's my opinion of it.

I personally went with the Flock Raiser because I free range mixed ages, but I continue to use it even when I don't have chicks.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by