I can trap a squirrel, but not a raccoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by matimeo, Oct 15, 2010.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    As I've been reading the regulations for the State of Oregon, I found it interesting that grey squirrels are considered a predatory animal and can be trapped or killed at any time, but raccoons are a protected species and can only be taken with a license and during open season. Seems to me that raccoons can be just as "predatory" as a squirrel. If I catch any coons going after my chickens though, I might be really tempted to disregard. Do other states ban the taking of raccoons out of season?

I also noted that throughout my reading and on the State's department of wildlife pages the following two items: Don't fee wildlife and don't catch and release! It really irritates me how many of my neighbors feed the dang squirrels (and therefore by default the opossums, raccoons, coyotes, etc.).

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a good situation for SSS.

Keep those chickens safe and watch out for those killer squirrels.

3. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Yeah, watch those killer squirrels...lol..
    I've never heard of coons being protected, don't know how many states that true in.In any case, my hens would come first...SSS..

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Call the OSP and ask about the use of live traps for depredation. The OSP handles widlife issues in Orgeon. In Washington, trapping for furs is one thing. Trapping for depredation is another issue alltogether.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Trapping for depredation is another issue alltogether.

I agree.
    I imagine the regulations only meant fur trapping and NOT depredation

And if you don't tell anyone........​

6. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    You need to go here: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/610.html and start reading at 610.055.

You'll see that the hunting and trapping laws are moot when it comes to predators on your land causing you problems.

7. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Thanks for finding that. I guess it depends on how you interpret that section. Oregon's department of wildlife doesn't define a raccoon a a predatory animal. However, I can't imagine that I could get in trouble for trapping a raccoon that has been lurking around my coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by