I Candled day 6 and again 9 ...... good news!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Clay In Iowa, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    After a week or two of sitting around wondering how smart it was to order eggs in January I ordered 12 Black Copper Marans eggs From mothergoose 1963 (Amy). She sent 16 BCMs plus 5 pure bred black Ameraucana eggs, beautiful blue eggs. Everything arrived in great shape, no dents, no dings. WOO HOO Bonus!!

I candled on day 6 and was surprised (pleasantly) to see 11 of 16 of my Black copper Marans were developing. One had a blood ring and 4 showed no signs of developing at all. 4 of the 5 Amaraucana eggs were doing great one had a blood ring. Amy told me she was getting around 80% hatches on the BCM eggs. 11 of 16 is around 68% very respectable for a mid-winter shipment through subfreezing conditions. I left the 5 BCM dudes in the bator just in case. It's a tough call to see ANYTHING in these dark eggs. Heck I wasn't too sure 10 of the 11 'developing' eggs were really developing. I saw movement in only one.

So on day 9 I decided to candle again. One of the Dudes was developing!! It was a particularly dark egg so seeing veining was just impossible. Movement of a larger embryo was much easier to see. I actually got the other 11 'good' eggs right. So now were up to 12 of 16 BCM eggs (75%) which is what Amy sees from fresh eggs.

Now I sit and wait.... .something I'm not very good at..... uuughhhh.

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sending good vibes your way. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck

3. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    What did you end up using to candle with?

4. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Congrats Clay!

I have had great luck candling the Marans eggs since I sprung for a high lume candler... I love it. I can see my little guys moving and I had a late hatcher that when I went to check on him he was pipping into the air cell... how cool that was to watch.

Happy Hatching!
    Melissa

5. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    I found a 3 watt LED mini mag lite was adequate. If only barely.

Yea it's pretty cool watching them move. My 4 year old thought it was really cool. He's VERY excited about "his" chickens.

6. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    im sorry for jumping on your thread like this but, i cant see through the darker eggs and maybe its just because its only day 3 for the eggs but..... [​IMG] i use just a plain ol flashlight which doesnt work very good... wat do most people use for candling?

7. Clay In Iowa

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    No problem I can tell you I tried several flashlight and settled on the mini mag light with a 3 watt LED. I too k the lens out and it worked..... OK.. Those dark eggs are REALLY tough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by