I candled my eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SterlingAcres, May 11, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    We're on Day 6 here... I couldn't resist.

This is what I got from the two white eggs -
    [​IMG]
    You can clearly see veining and an embryo (this is the cracked one! I'm really rooting for him). Sorry for the fuzziness. I'll try to ETA a video I took as well.

The brown eggs were harder to see into... the one EE egg, well that was darn near impossible. [​IMG] But I have high hopes. I saw dark spots in all the browns, assuming they're little eyeballs, we're all good. I didn't see any bloodrings but I do believe I have one 'clear' egg.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    [​IMG] YAY!!!!! Lookin' good!!!! Those EE eggs are AWFUL!!!! I have 4 in and get nothing on all of them!!!

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Pffft the video is soooo clear. I just wish my camera would focus without the darn flash! What a pita. LOL

But I clearly saw little babies!!! Well, at least eyes and maybe the beginning of a spine or something similar. very adorable. I'm so excited now...

4. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Well YouTube distorts everything, but here's the link:

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    That clip was really cool!!! What I do to help a little with focus when the flash is off is prop my elbows firmly before I take a pic. A tripod would be much better. Any hint of movement ruins it.

6. moms_pantry

moms_pantry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Did you try candling from the top of the egg. I don't know how you candle you eggs. I just use a flashlight. I candled my duck eggs from the bottom last night (day6) and I couldn't see very much, but when I candled from the top I could see very distinct veining and a couple of the ducklings are a lot bigger than I expected.

I went a took a picture of one of my eggs that I candled from the top. The picture is considerably darker that yours, but I can clearly see the baby duckling. My daughter was excited. I hope you can see in the picture what we can see in my hand.

[​IMG]

This is one of the bigger ones. It is very hard to see with the picture so small. Sorry, I wish it was better.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine are hatching right now. Just watched one hatch. I have never seen anything so cool. I want to keep eggs incubating ALL the time! Congrats on your embryos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by