I candled!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilyD, May 17, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I candled my quail eggs and two of the four show what looks like little dark babies floating on the inside. One of those also had a crack on the outside of the egg unfortunately but I sealed it up using some superglue and that seemed to work. I am hoping the baby will still hatch The third egg had a small dark spot but I don't see anything else in there and the fourth had nothing at all but clear in the egg. Now we will just have to wait and see I guess.

2. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Way day are you on?

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Day 12 but they are button quail so they won't hatch until the 23 day

4. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    I've never heard of sealing an egg with super glue, i usually use candle wax. I light a candle, and drip the wax over the crack. I would keep the one with a small dark spot for a few days more, if it hasn't changed you can toss it out. As for the egg thats clear, if the egg is dark or porous you may not be seeing cleary, but if you can see 100% thru the egg and see the yolk inside with no veining, etc, you can throw it out

5. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I don't even see a yolk it just looks like clear fluid. with no development. The one with the crack and one other one has a very definitely baby fetus inside that I can see and when I turn the egg it moves inside the egg around the outside shell so it's not stuck to the shell, but I didn't see the baby move at all just moving around the egg. When I read in another post about a cracked egg someone had posted using superglue because it was the same thing as liquid band aide that people use. They also suggested nail polish. I don't have candles to use so I thought I would give it a try. We will know soon I am going to try and candle on day 20 before I lock down to check progress hopefully they will grow.

They are bob white quail not button quail btw sorry it's been a long day lol

6. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] We all have long days sometimes.
    I'll have to remember that when i don't have candles on hang.
    I hope the best for your hatch!

Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

7. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:button quail hatch on day 16 and 17. trust me, i've had them [​IMG] they are so cute!!

8. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Yeah that was a typo they are bob white quail so their hatching day is 23 days I wish it was just 17 lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by