I cannot even guess what this chick is!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AuberyMirkwood, Aug 13, 2011.

1. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Things I know:

1. Ideal Hatchery Bantam

2. Does not have a single comb

3. What keeps stumping me is the spots on his head.

[​IMG]

This is what his feathers look like at one week old

[​IMG]

What can he/she be?? I've looked and looked but I don't find anything I feel is close

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Not sure... but i like his pose!!!

3. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    That is strange. Ideal does not offer many bantams with clean legs and non-single combs. You are right, I do not find anything that really fits. That is strange. You know what they say about hatchery quality chicks though...sometimes not the best represenative of their breeds. Could be that he/she is supposed to have a single comb and does not or feathered legs and does not. Does remind me of the Millie Fleur (I think hers are d Uccles) chicks the person who hatches my eggs for me has right now. They are buff colored all over with a few dark spots on their head.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Maybe a Black tailed buff japanese Bantam?? Maybe? I was just trying to get the chick pic but wound up copying the whole thing, sorry Sandy

The chicks in the pic.s is buff with the spots on the heads and necks.
    Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantam
    St Run

Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantams present a very unique and attractive poultry display. The plumage of the head, neck, back, breast, body and legs are buff. The tail is black with the top two feathers edged with buff. The sickles and lesser sickle are black edged with buff. The male's wing primaries are black, fringed with buff while the female's wing primaries are black with a buff outer edge. The gene responsible for the short shanks is the dominant autosomal lethal creeper (Cp) gene that results in dead embryos when in the homozygous state (CpCp).

Standard weights at maturity are male-26 oz, and hen-22 oz.

Our bantams are purebred and represent the breed and variety; however, we do not guarantee or represent that they are of show quality.

Please enter the desired quantity and Click the "Add To Cart" button.

5. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:I don't think so... Japanese have single combs and I got several chicks I am quit sure are buff japs and they look nothing alike :-\\

6. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:Yes I thought of that but really?? So off breed that the comb is different and no hint of feathers on their legs? :-\\ That would be truly poor quality!

7. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:I don't think so... Japanese have single combs and I got several chicks I am quit sure are buff japs and they look nothing alike :-\\

Well it was worth a shot! LOL The only Bantams I got are silkies so..... hmmmm I sure hope someone comes along to help ya .

8. stormylady

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    What type of comb would you call that?

9. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM

Well it was worth a shot! LOL The only Bantams I got are silkies so..... hmmmm I sure hope someone comes along to help ya .

Lucky! I wanted silkies most but I got only one. We should trade lol :p

10. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Quote:I'm not sure... It looks like a pea comb to me.. I don't think it's a rose but I'm not really sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by