I can't admit this to anyone else - share your experience

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChirpyChicks1, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I have gathered six beautiful brown eggs from my lovely chickens but have yet to eat one. I'm making waffles for my family tonight and decided now is the time.

First thing: I am SHOCKED by how hard the shell was [​IMG] I could barely get them open and the second one ended up shooting out at me b/c I was applying so much force!

Second thing: And I'll never admit it outside this site but...... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There was stuff IN the egg, like just floating around in the white part and no it was not shell and nothing from the outside of the shell, it was in it and took forever to get out. And the yolk had a white spot, which I now know is fine, but when I first saw it I thought that meant the egg was fertile and I have no roosters so I had a small panic attack [​IMG] This was the first egg. The second egg the yolk looked really funny, in a gross sort of way. But I mixed them up and threw them in the batter before I lost my nerve.

I should have taken pictures, I didn't even think about it at the time

Has anyone else experienced stuff in the eggs like this before? Surely someone has and can tell me it's perfectly fine :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You were probably seeing the chalaza. They hold the yolk in place and look like white strings on each side of the yolk.

http://www.sites.ext.vt.edu/virtualfarm/poultry/poultry_eggparts.html

There are also the possibility of meat spots and blood spots in unfertilized eggs (blood spots from a broken blood vessel at the time of egg formation, and meat spots from parts of the hen like an ovary or piece of tissue coming loose at the time of egg formation). These are NORMAL and expected if you see enough eggs. I just discard the unsightly part and cook the rest of the egg as usual.

What you want to be cautious about is to read and know these things:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps020

and

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/34/rotten-eggs
    Please note there are more categories to look at on the left for egg quality.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Thank you so much for the links!! The second egg had a very noticeable chalaza but I knew enough to not worry about that one ;) I'm thinking the junk in the first egg is a meat spot but I'm going to do a bit more research.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have also seen an actual roundworm in an egg but that is supposedly rare and my chickens were sick with the worms at the time (I treated them of course).

It was quite obvious and one would not wonder what it was if one saw it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by