1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can't believe how many people there are from Alaska on here

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jul 27, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Seriously! I've been there a bunch of times, never saw any chicken coops!!! Of course we were on the more main roads. Do you folks worry about bears or foxes up there? Zapper fence?

2. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Better them then me haha

3. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no way, I would kill to live up there. It's unreal.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Alaska is gorgeous. If I could talk my husband into that, we'd live there. [​IMG]

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Having never been to Alaska would someone post some pics, from what I have seen on UK TV it looks totally awesome........dont know if I could live there though the winters look so cold....I dont like cold weather!

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    When I told family/friends that I was moving to Alaska, the women all thought I was crazy, and the men all told me they were jealous. 10 years later, I'm married and settled up here, and loving every minute of it... even the -40°F. [​IMG]

Here's a few photos for you...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/k9mom2008/sets/72157603630872054/
    or here...
    http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/myphotos.html
    or here...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/K9Mom2008/Whittier71308

It is truly beautiful.
    Our breeders coop is out front, but unless you're really looking, you don't know it's a coop. The main layers pen is out back, and it's a little noisier there. [​IMG] Not a lot of chickens up here because people seem to think it's too cold, but they're catching on.

7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Quote:Bears, yes both Black and Brown in our area.
    Wolf, yes
    Coyote, yes
    Moose, yes (they like to eat out of the food bin)
    Eagles, yes
    Owles, yes
    Fox, no

Yep zapper fence, The biggest you can get your hands on the better. It also helps to leave big dogs on the porch and a shotgun by the door.
    You didnt see any coops while you were here cause we keep them in the back yards...... and if we catch you snoopin in our back yards, well lets just say you wont be telling anyone.

English Chick, Give my wife a few minutes and I'm sure she'll post some.

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was just talking with my Mom yesterday (in Soldotna) and she was saying the weather has been rotten and they are thinking of closing the season for reds on the Kenai. Their house is currently on the market and they are going to be moving to their house in Bellingham, WA. Man, what I wouldn't give to be able to buy their house and move back up there. I love Alaska!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I think we've been spoiled by the last 10 years of milder Winters and warmer Summers... we're back to "normal" according to the Sourdoughs (the old-timers up here that remember back to the 60s and 70s). We are on par for the coolest summer on record, only breaking 65°F about 5 or 6 times since Winter. We're soggy, plain and simple. We had some sun this morning, but it looks to be fading fast. [​IMG]

10. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Our weather here in Ontario hasn't been any better...we're soggy too, and it has been a very cool summer this year...we are still battling mosquitos like crazy because we haven't had the heat to get rid of them and the rain is giving them alot of nesting grounds.

Isn't Alaska dark for most of the winter...like day and night with just a couple hours of light? I love the scenery...it is gorgeous...but being seasonal affective I would die up there during winter...I have a hard enough time in Northern Ontario!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by