I can't believe I forgot the chicks!

mcnicolclan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Wisconsin
I have 15 chicks that turned 4 weeks old on Saturday. They are living in their coop that has an attached screened in run. The coop is raised so there is a ramp for them to use to get in and out of the coop. They love to walk up the ramp and spend lots of time sitting on it but they won't go thru the opening into the coop. When it starts to get dark they all huddle together in the corner of the run and we have to pick them up and put them into the coop.

When I went out last night they were still walking around and several were sitting at the top of the ramp. I was hopeful that they were finally going to go in on their own so I turned the heat lamp on inside the coop and decided to give them some more time. I'm sure you know what's coming. I totally forgot to go back out and make sure they were inside!! My husband is out of town and after getting the kids to bed I just never thought about the chicks.

It hit me this morning as I was getting up and I ran outside in my pj's to check on them. Most of the chicks were still huddled together in the corner of the run but 2 or 3 were already walking around.

I live in Wisconsin and the temp got down to about 60 degrees last night and it was pretty damp...luckily it didn't rain. The chicks are all in the coop now where the temp is about 80.

Is there anything else I should be doing for them? What signs should I be looking for to see if I've done any damage? Also, why are they not going into the coop at night?

All the chicks have been so healthy and happy and until now this has all gone very smoothly. I'll be heartbroken if this makes them all get sick.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Don't worry, at four weeks the chicks can regulate their own body temperature. Both of my broodies over the last 12 months have abandoned their chicks to start laying again and go back to their flock at four weeks post-hatch, almost dead-on, and their chicks were all fine.

Your babies probably got a bit chilly staying outside in the run all night, but I doubt they suffered serious misfortune from their adventure. Just keep an eye on them for a couple of days to be absolutely sure.
smile.png

It's called a "brain fart" when you get to be my age (71) it'll happen more often than you like. The other day I filled the 3 gallon poly waterer that goes in with my 30 chicks and forgot to take off the out-flow cap. Came in the next morning and the water tray was empty. As soon as I opened the flow I had 30 chicks jostling for position to drink. I suspect that as long as you're chicks were healthy to begin with they'll recover just fine--they probably kept each other warm at that age. BTW I always wait until my chicks begin to use the roost before letting them out--usually means they're a couple of months old.

You should be fine! We all do that on occasion. I forgot about mine a few times too. It makes me glad that I spent the extra time making my run really secure and I check for signs of predators all the time. I agree with woodmort; the older you get the more it happens. I walked off from the kitchen sink yesterday and left the water running to fill up a bucket for the dogs' water and came back in about 5 minutes later to the sound of running water! Oops!

Back
Top Bottom