1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I can't believe I may have another Roo? Please say it ain't so....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chirpy, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I have 2 Black Sex-link pullets. They are going on 17 weeks old and I know that sex-links often start laying right around now. So, I hadn't really paid much attention to one of them when 'she' started getting really red wattles and a comb because I figured she was getting ready to lay.

Then, yesterday I really noticed the huge difference in these two girls. They are both the exact same age... look at the HUGE difference in combs and wattles. What does this mean? Is the one a Roo or is the pullet just that much delayed in her time to start laying?

Ahhhhh!!!

What do you all think?

Pullet for sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon to lay pullet or Roo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its a pullet.
    Black sexlink roo's aren't black. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are very much girls. Black sexlink males look like badly barred Barred Rocks, hence the "sex linked" color difference.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I love this place.... I learn so much. Now that you say that I vaguely remember that fact but it completely eluded me.

Thanks. I'm guessing I'll be getting eggs from her pretty soon. Yippee!

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Congrats on the bigger comb and wattles. We had a white orp pullet develop them suddenly and the next thing we knew we found a pile of eggs in a hidden nest out in the flower bed. Looks like you will have eggs soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by