I can't believe I'm asking this...but why isn't my girl laying?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melloladies, Feb 21, 2011.

1. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Yes, I read the sticky. I have a small flock (4 layers, one free-loader) All are under a year old. I've been getting about an egg a day from 3 of my layers, but one of them hasn't laid an egg in about 5 days now. I can't see blaming it on the daylight, since the other girls are still going strong. Same with nutrition/stress... She had a mudflap (to quote another BYC member) going on, so the DH and I gave her a little dunk and a butt cut the other day, and I felt her abdomen then (about 2 days ago) and I didn't feel and egg "stuck" or anything... She is eating/drinking/acting completely normal. I don't THINK she's molting...no evidence of that.
    The last two days I've seen her sneak into the coop....only to come right out less than 2 minutes later.
    I don't want to let some health problem sneak by me- anybody have a brainstorm?

2. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    chooks can stop laying and then start again

3. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    oh...really??? hm. i didnt know that. That seems basic!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Maybe something frightened her that didn't bother the others, or not as much. I had a predator attack recently, some are laying regularly and some haven't laid since.

I guess you could try a warm bath and blow dry. Maybe she's got an XXL egg trying to come down. Won't hurt.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:WOW, rilly? (kids these days are soooo much smarter) [​IMG]

Is she the same breed as the others? I've found some breeds vary their laying and molting schedules.

The other thing that came to mind was egg eating- but I have never encountered an egg eater, and I've had chickens for a long time.

Hope she gets in gear again soon!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  6. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Have you noticed her place in the pecking order? She might be being bullied which would make her stressed. Maybe go out and watch them for a bit [​IMG]

7. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    She's either the middle girl in the pecking order, or the next to last. I actually think she got in quite the scuffle with the top hen today. My flock is a pretty mixed bag of breeds. Girlie in question is the Ameraucana. My EE's and the Rock are still layin' away!
    If only I could say "Raffi, dear, what's bothering you?" And get an answer besides [​IMG]

She's got me guessing for sure!

8. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Maybe there's some inter-flock drama you don't know about [​IMG] Or she could be hiding her eggs! One of my RIRs did that for a bit. She'd go in the coop to investigate and then she decided those quarters weren't good enough for her and she snuck off to lay else where!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  9. egg proof

egg proof Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2010
    One of my EE's is not laying as well. I'll wait till spring and if she still hasn't produced, I will invite her to dinner. Grain is not cheap.

10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    First my Marans quit laying, then my Barred Rock, both at about 10 months. They are both molting, but you could hardly tell at first with the Marans - she doesn't look too bad, just mostly tail and back-side feathers missing. Now the poor Barred Rock- she's quite a sight. [​IMG]
    I'm hoping they start back up soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by